Exhaust too big ticket?

The cop had someone else pulled over, my buddy coasted by him in neutral so it wasnt noise. I am 100% certain he was doing nothing to warrant being pulled over other than the look of his car.

under that law how does a zl1 or zr1 dual mode exhaust pass . i know its factory but it bypasses the muffler baffles internally .

Corvettes are for off road use only

Unless you were there, its hard to believe the story. While I don’t deny cops busting balls (have had my balls busted as well as had them let me go on some serious shit) the chance that he happened to pull him over while he “coasted” by is very unlikely. Either your friend isint telling the entire story, maybe the cop saw him driving like a jack ass at another time and got his chance to ticket him, or whatever. But there is more to the story.

How will a $20 chrome muffler tip from local walmart “amplify” exhaust noise is beyond me. May be NYS at tax payers expense had conducted such study in a scientific manner and have those data distributed to all 5-0’s and arm them with field equipment to determine that and/or hook your car to a facility that can determine that.

Clearly your friend got trolled or did something to the cop and he is not happy.

Wat? I do not recall.

had dual 5" tips on the jeep coming out of the center for years…

your friend shoulda bought a jeep.

the cruise the 911 died on, i was behind you in the mr2, your car was deff louder then the mr2 but since i was behind you the cop pulled me over cause he got to me first.

factory installed.

Notice there isnt a max Decible limit in that law. If the factory exhaust in its loudest setting is say 98db. from reading the law it would seem that if you installed headers and a full exhaust but stayed at or bellow that it would be legal. 99 db and its not.

when a factory honda is 30db and silent its very easy to go over that with a modification.

BUT say the db on that ZL1 is 98 db, damn loud, it might not get an exhaust ticket if the cop is smart and doesnt want to chance it on being factory… there are plenty of disturbance laws I am willing to bet DO have a DB limit to hit him with.

if he bought a domestic he could run open headers and not get bothered about it.

however, he put a queef pipe on a civic so the tickets will keep coming.

All this is !!! The cop has the ricer > domestic thinking ! Is it wrong ? Yes but most import owners that mod them are tools and act as such . Not sayin your buddy is one but if he was in a domestic nothing would of happened . Also the law is a legit law but is a grey area . Most aftmkt "Hudson , flowmaster , etc " exh in n.y is for off rd use only. Leaving that a oem type be legal . I can’t fail u on a inspection for it but it is a ticketable offense .

screwed up part is you can buy louder exhausts from the factory for most anything so it’s really just the cops being dicks. Used to just be a fix it ticket or did that change?

I think it all comes down to how you drive. Like John said a lot of the younger import guys act like…well…tools and they are handled by the police as such.

When I had dual 4" tips on my Evo I was never hassled by the cops but I didn’t drive like a dick and rev at every other import on the road or launch from stoplight.

It is still a sign off ticket

I have straight 3" turbo back, no muffler or any other bullshit from turbo out. Cars decently loud even at idle. I have never been pulled over at all in the car. Even with cops right behind me for miles. It’s a matter of the cop and if you drive like a douche is what it comes down to. They can hand out bull shit tickets all day to everyone if they wanted to.

Cop Prolly herd him coming and noticed that he put it in neutral just to go by and figured he was hiding something .so they pulled him over. Simple as that. I was pulled over and ticketed for loud exhaust a few times when I was younger and every time I deserved the ticket because I was being a tool. I had exhaust on my se-r last year and wasn’t bothered at all because I drive like a normal adult.(most of the time)

I’ve gotten a handful of exhaust tickets for driving/acting like a completely respectable adult.

But whatever my exhaust/car usually stands out. Either way, who gives a shit? Any cop will sign that ticket off immediately and probably only be annoyed with the other cop for writing it. I’ve never had one stick. I got a cop to write off my Infiniti’s exhaust and KK knows how obnoxious it sounds and looks.

Holy crap, I better watch out. I have Quad 4" tips on my Grand prix. LOL

:nervous:

You all drive like assholes, admit it.

I know I do.

good thing the viper is hella quiet. lol