Exhaust LAWS

alright there has been alot of talk about exhaust laws and what is or isnt legal in NYS and luckly I was bored at work and got my hands on the vehicle and traffic laws book so here is some info…

S375. 31 Mufflers and exhaust systems. Prevention of noise.Every motor vehicle, operated or driven on the highways of the state, shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler and exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-out, bypass, or similar device.No person shall modify the muffler or exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase noise emitted by the motor or exhaust systemof such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system originally installed on the vehicle and such original muffler and exhaust system shall comply with all the requirements of this section.

A muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates, or other mechanical design for the purposeof recieving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine, and effective in reducing noise.

An axhaust system is a series of mechanical devices for the purpose of recieving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and expelling in into the atmosphere.

31-a. No person shall, in the state,sell install or use a motorcycle exhaust device with out baffles, known as “straight pipes”

31-b. No person shall,in the state,sell,install or use a motorcycle exhaust device that is intentionally designed to allow for the internal baffling to be fully or partially removed or interchangable. This shall not apply to a motorcycle manufactured prior to 1979 or registered as a limited use or an all terrain vehicle persuant to article 48A or B of this chapter.

TABLE I
Maximum allowable A-weighted sound levels

[left]35 mph or less 86dB Over 35 mph 90dB

In addition is shall be unlawful for any person to operate or cause to be operated on a public highway any motor vehicle or combination of vehicles with a maximum gross weight in excess of ten thousand pounds and equipped with an engine speed governor, which generates, an A weighted sound level in excess of 88dB measured at or adjusted to, a distance of fifty feet from the longitudinal centerline of the vehicle, when the engine of such vehicle is accelerated from idle with a wide open throttle to governed speed with the vehicle stationary, transmission in neutral and the clutch engaged.

WOW THATS ALOT MORE SHIT THEN I THOUGHT I WOULD HAVE TO WRITE!!:blah:
Anyway hope this helps some people out:) ill try to find more at another time.

the new "Officer C "
[/left]

Thank YOU

Sticky.

Damn, no aftermarket exhaust louder than stock? Never would have thought that was a law given how abundant aftermarket exhausts are…

All exhausts are sold as “off-road use only”.

Why can you get inspected without a muffler? As long as the cat is there, you pass. I’ve done it three times, and it wans’t at places where I have hook-ups

always wondered that same thing, actually

same reason you pass with tint. A loud exhaust has nothing to do with safety/emissions.

They wouldn’t pass my tint…
or my headlight covers

Ive never failed from tint.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-50.htm

Windshield And Other Glass

• Windshield - check for presence and condition.
  • All windows - approved safety glass or rigid plastic and condition.

:gotme: You’ve been driving longer than me, but something tells me I have had worse luck

wow. cutouts are illegal even…

you’d think that cutouts are OK as long as they are closed when the car is on the street.

31-a. No person shall, in the state,sell install or use a motorcycle exhaust device with out baffles, known as “straight pipes”
shoulda told that to me and choda when we installed the harly pipes on his 4 cyl stang lol…that fucker was LOUD!

They need to tatoo those regs on Harley riders foreheads. Those fockers sound like an elephant with dysentary. And WTF is it about when they constantly rev them at stop lights? Jaysus, give us a break you bad boy wannabe’s.

A-Fucking-Men, every goddamn hog rider get’s away hassle free revving & going WOT all day and allll night.

stupid mid life crisis men and there easy rider mentality.

Look at me i finally got that loud bike i always wanted and thought would make me look so cool, in my leather jacket, twisting my grip twice every 5 seconds at a traffic light. Looking around to see if anybody is looking at me because they all must be! who wouldn’t!? i’m so cool with my ridiculously loud and slow bike. i’ll show them who’s a dork now, vrrooom!! vrrooooom!!! bah! bah! bah! bahhhhh!!

Disclaimer: not all bike riders are schmucks.

very good info :tup:

Good info! I hate New York State laws! I got busted for tint & had to take it off or be fined by Amherst. Amherst sucks! Hmmm…so my Borla exhaust is illegal according to NYS :slight_smile:

12 exhaust tickets… i learn the hardway… got out of all of them too…

heres a crazy question…

scenerio… some old dude is riding his harley loud as can be… settin off car alarms and just being rediculously loud… then a car {import car} drives by a cop and BAM the lights go on and the car gets a ticket for a humm… why!@

i was at court the other day with a guy who got a exhaust ticket on his crotch rocket