air fare question.....

this is a last minute flight that i’m trying to book, but it’s because of a death in the family. is there anything that the airport will do to help with prices of the flight? i’m coming from san diego, ca and going to buffalo, ny. if anyone knows anything, please let me know. thanks

ugh sorry for your loss. Have you tried calling them direct? I booked a flight 4 days in advance about a month ago and it was cheaper then a few months out when i was looking.

Also I usually use kayak.com and find the cheapest airline then it is usually cheapest to book right through the airline.

i think there is a program for flights for a death, i think u need a death certificate to prove y your flying. call the airline

i tried calling and the lady who answered was of no help, go figure. i’ll most likey try again tomorrow, cause that’s what i heard too and see if someone else knows anything different.

I know US Air used to offer discounts for a death in your family, but you’d have to give the name of a doctor / phone number / etc. It was 50% off.

Not anymore though :frowning:

The term is bereavement. Like mentioned above you have to be able to prove the death with a certificate, and I also believe there are limitations as to who in the family would make you eligible…i.e. a 2nd cousin probably won’t get you bereavement, but a grandparent would.

I’m suprised the woman at the airline you spoke with wasn’t more helpful…

I didn’t read all of this, but it may be of some help: http://airtravel.about.com/od/travelindustrynews/tp/bereavementairlinetickets.htm

I fly ALOT and always use orbitz, its often way cheaper than anything else I have found by hundreds of dollars. Oh btw if you book the flight less than 24 hours before you fly, they WILL check you and your bags for gun powerder residue, found that out the hard way. Its nothing to worry about. Sorry about your loss, hope this helps

There IS a program for a close family bereavement discount. All of my family is in the UK, and since living in the states I have had 3 GPs move on. It is enough to give the contact details of the funeral home to get the discount.

look the cheapest fare up using ita software.

Go direct to the airlines, ask for bereavement.

They will tell you that the bereavement discount is off full fare tickets and you’ll find cheaper tickets on your own than purchasing the bereavement rate.