airbag light vs. nys inspection

so i have an airbag light coming on every so often, the dealer i got this from is giving me a hard time in fixing this issue saying they dont cover electrical problems. i find this hard to believe that an airbag light would not be considered something covered under a used car dealer when they sell a car with a 30-60 day warranty.

so is an airbag light something to be concerned about when it comes to a nys inspection, clearly i know the airbag light means I’m having problems with a sensor or something and the airbag might not deploy in a crash, which is not good, but is this something that would fail if inspected.

i figured if i find this out, then i can just get this done a lot faster and no arguing, if it doesnt pass inspection obviously that is something that needs to be taken care of. if it would still pass inspection.

please help! lol

99% sure airbag is not part of a NYS inspection, just like ABS. Do a search though an the inspection reg book has been posted here by Carnut.

Aren’t the inspection specifications posted in gen auto?

thanks guys, im having a horrible day at work, with call after call. i had a fun time just trying to type this up because of the amount of work. ill search though

airbag light doesnt matter

/thread

still pissed the dealer wont do shit for it, safety reasons. thats like selling an unsafe car, i get in a crash and the bag doesnt go off, its my fault even though it was sold that way to me?

Umm I would go back to the dealer and tell them to fix it, or take the car back. They are mandated to provide warranty service for at least 30 days.

+1

they are saying its not covered under their warranty. i guess used dealers only have to warranty so much, and well i guess electrical is not part of it?

Then tell them you want to return the car. They are not honoring the car they sold you.

Was the light on when you bought the car?

How many miles were on the car when you bought it?

72k and no it was not on, it came on like 2 days later for the first time.

the dealer is peterkays on broadway in alden i believe it is

It should be covered, check out the DMV website for more info.

LOL…that car was probably stolen or something down south and brought up here.

That is the shadiest dealership in town.

You got hosed.

rest of the car is great, runs good no problems or anything, just this now.

and actually they gave me a great deal.

my car was only worth like $1500at most with the way it was, they gave me $2600 kbb was $1800 for trade in for great condition. everyone was offering me like $1400 or less.

Air bag light is notification only on NYSI. in otherwords it will not fail but should be marked on the inspection receipt to notify the customer.
Air bag light IS part of used car certification. It is listed under new/used dealer regulations. You should file a complaimnt with DMV vehicle safety especially after a few days of owning vehicle. local numbner is 826-3187. They will probally reffer you to call albany (I dontr have the number off hand) to file the complaint.
fyi get an estimate from another shop on the cost of repairs (not a buddy)(also real shop).

well before i do anything im going to call them up again and just inform them of the situation again and tell them i will process a complaint with the dmv about the safety of the car and not being taken care of. as for taking the car to a shop and getting an estimate, does this come up on a scanner if the light is not on?

i atleast took a picture of the light on to indicate to them it actually is coming on! im sick of shit like this, i had an abs problem with my last car when i got it from a dealer and it wouldnt stay on, so they wouldnt run a scan for me unless i paid for the scan, and there was no for sure thing about it coming up in a scan. which when i ran the scan at ecc we had to literally search threw everything before we finally found the problem that was going on. so i know the dealer would have dicked me over and said nope nothing, now you need to pay

the srs light was on in my integra and it was obd2 and it passed.