Airbag Light

I’ve got an airbag light on in my 98 Blazer, does anyone have the ability scan this and tell me what is wrong with it or reset it??

yah so does my 03 impala …any help >?

My airbag light is on as well on my miata. I can’t get it to passed VA inspection. Is the airbag light blinking or it’s on constant? If it’s blinking, it’s most likely either your driver/pass/side airbag is bad, you have to decode the blinking light. You can throw in a resistor to tricked the computer and the light won’t blink. If it’s on constant, then most likely you need a new airbag computer. $600 for my miata and you have to ripped out your whole dash.

NYS won’t fail your inspection for an airbag light. I wouldn’t even bother getting it checked out.

When the one started blinking in the Expedition it was pretty obvious it was flashing a sequence. I sat there and counted the blinks, looked up the code online, and it turned out to be a little resistor under the passengers seat. $15 part from the dealer and it was all better.

If you’re isn’t flashing I guess that doesn’t help though.

mine started blinking after a 6,100 launch. scary.

I might pull them.

Yea true. I would just pull the light out of the dash.

:picard:
I’d at least get the code read before I gave up on fixing it. Some $15 part might save your life some day.

or kill you, going off when not needed.

Extremely unlikely, unless you’re a moron who doesn’t wear a seatbelt. And if that’s case do what you want because you need to remove yourself from the gene pool anyway. :wink:

have you ever had a airbag of off in your face?

Nope, but I had a belted friend walk away from a crash that probably would have killed him without the airbag. He had some bruises from the seatbelt but still hit the bag.

Saying you’re going to disable an air bag because it might kill you is like saying you’re not going to wear a seatbelt because you might crash into a lake and not be able to get out of the car. Sure, it’s possible, but you’re much more likely to be saved by these safety devices than killed by them.

I’m sure car manufactures are adding more and more airbags because they think they’ll have a better chance of killing the occupants.

There are exceptions. I have one REALLY large friend who drives a Corolla. His gut is pretty much pressed against the steering wheel and if that airbag ever went off it would probably blow him right out through the trunk. That’s a situation where I’d have the airbag disabled. But if you can sit the recommended distance from the wheel and always wear your belt it’s pretty ignorant to disable such a safety feature.

ya thats in a crash.
not driving WOT at speed. its a small difference lol

Whatever. Unhook them if you want, I don’t know any of you and to be honest so your personal safety really doesn’t affect me.

Just posting an opinion since so many people were suggesting to just unhook it.

Ya options are good, A seatbelt is great. I always wear one, I’m not one to be with the odds of ejected form a flipping car freak thing.
But at the track on slicks, the airbag light coming on form a lunch. Kinda sucks. Im gona look into it more.

From what I’ve read airbags are one of those systems where any fault = no deployment. So I’d guess your light coming on at the track means it’s very unlikely for it to go off at random. Hell, it might not even go off in a crash.

yes. Its not a big deal and it wont come close to killing you.

Yes, I have. At the dealership I worked at. After it was pulled from the vehicle, (not by me) the tech was fooling with it & I guess it built up static electricity & popped in our face. Good thing it was soft side up when it happened, just a couple brushburns, no big deal.
As for why the lite came on after a 6100rpm launch, you might have set off one of the 3 sensors. It takes 2 sensors to activate an airbag. So setting off one will deactivate the system. Sensors have a little ball held in place by a magnet. If it incounters a hard enough jolt to dislodge 2 or more balls, out comes the bag.

bullseye, make sure it gets fixed properly, i don’t care who you are, i wouldn’t want to see you get hurt by accidental discharge.

PM me if you want to and I will see if I can borrow a scanner from the dealership. I’ve never worked one so we will have to find someone who has or do it at the dealership