Al Gore + Photoshop = Fail

Not to clutter up the Climategate thread, but this is kinda funny.

The cover of Al Gores new book has a picture of the planet that has been photo shopped to show the effects of global warming:

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID25061/images/02badearth.jpg

At first glance you might not notice the problems but;

Hurricane expert Ryan Maue of Florida State University first noticed something wrong with the images. It is there on the cover that inaccuracies and impossibilities are depicted thus providing skeptics a chance to jump on Gore much like they did the inaccuracies in his previous works.

The retouched image depicting our planet at some point in the future, contains images of five hurricanes. One storm off the coast of Florida is turning in a clockwise motion, an impossibility in the northern hemisphere.

Another hurricane is shown near Peru and the equator, a place where hurricanes cannot form. It is also a bit ironic that so many storms are depicted when hurricane activity is currently at a 30 year low.

Sea level rises are something which is of great concern in a warming climate. The cover of “Our Choice” depicts the effects of rising oceans but does so in a manner that is impossible.

In the modified image, Cuba appears to be completely submerged. That would require a sea level rise of more than 6580 feet as that is the height of Pico Turquino on the island. Much of Florida as well is now under water as is a great deal of Central America.

The problem is that if there were indeed a rise of that level, Florida would be entirely gone as its highest point only reaches an altitude of 345 feet. Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, South Carolina, Virginia and virtually every single other state that borders an ocean (and many landlocked states) would be submerged. Even Denver, the Mile High City, would be under water although presumably its residents could escape to the Rocky Mountains.

:bigblap:

:facepalm:

its for dramatic effect, not meant to be wholly accurate.

and since global warming is beyond mans control anyways it doesnt really matter.

Which is what you get when politicians with no scientific credentials try to play physicist.

politicians dont know anything about anything anyways.

if a politicians says something, the opposite is true.

anything is possible, did you see the commercial for 2012? you dumb bastard =p

I Actually sat thru all 2 and a half hours of that movie
:picard:

The retouched image depicting our planet at some point in the future

If it hasn’t happened yet, of course it can’t be accurate.

who’s to say that the earth’s axis didn’t change amidst global warming?..then the rotational direction of the hurricanes would be plausable.

Gore is a fag.

inb4manbearpig

Al Gore invented the Internet. He can do whatever he wants. :lol:

The point is that it can never be accurate. It’s not even close to any sort of reality, lol.

Take a closer look at the directions of rotation… I see 4 different axis’ in order to make the rotations work… and that’s simply impossible. I’d PS it myself, but don’t have the time right now. :slight_smile:

you should thank him for the ability to post this thread.

How is this an issue?

http://www.epicallyfunnypictures.com/FunnyPictures/ISeeWhatYouDidThere/SeeWhatYouDidOwl.jpg

Wait does someone actually care?

:danny:

I dont see why people even care what Gore does anymore… The world know this guys a loon.

the global warming… lol