Albany police spokesman to appear in court on DWI charge

You probably saw him on YNN all the time.

ALBANY, N.Y. – Albany Police Spokesman James Miller is being arraigned this morning on charges that he was driving while intoxicated Friday night.

The 19-year veteran of the force was driving without headlights when he was pulled over by Albany police around 9:30 p.m. at the corner of North Pearl and Orange streets. He was driving a department-issued vehicle at the time.

Police said Miller appeared to be intoxicated but refused to take a breathalyzer test. He was charged with driving while intoxicated, refusal to submit to a chemical test and driving without headlights.

Miller has also been placed on unpaid leave pending an internal investigation.

In a statement released this morning, Miller said, “I would just like to say that I am saddened and regret the negative publicity that this situation has put on my family, the entire Albany Police Department and the citizens of Albany. For over 19 years with the police department I have handled my position responsibly, with dignity and with pride. As I move forward it is my full intent to approach my current situation the same way.”

http://capitalregion.ynn.com/content/top_stories/537283/albany-police-spokesman-to-appear-in-court-on-dwi-charge/

He definitely stepped on some toes in albany if his own guys brought him in.

He was either drunk out of his mind, or whoever arrested him probably wasn’t a big fan of the guy.

Maybe both.

Actually nice to see that they are not being lenient just because he works for APD.

Also what they said above, most cops won’t give another cop shit. Unfortunately I have heard of quite a few DWI accidents with cops involved so its kind of a catch 22

If you pull over another cop and you don’t know what you should do… you go to your ranking officer in command and see what he says.

awhh james miller :frowning:

good dude, always came to the big money parties i worked at, real nice guy from the several times i’ve talked to him

He pissed someone off down there in the past, I can tell you that much.

blahblahblahblahblah big fucking deal whatever

the guy that brought him in def had a vendetta out to get this guy.

THIS.

I saw this over the weekend and thought the same thing. No way in hell an APD officer / rep that is well liked within the organization is going to get brought in by his own. That’s just not how it works. Even if he was brought in i’m sure if he was liked they wouldn’t have stuck him with anything. He definitely pissed someone off.

yup this guy always drove drunk and when pissed the other cop off pretty bad there was an opportunity and this guy took it sucks for a 19years on job to get fired

Yea, but he’s three months from retiring.

I’ll bet you ANY amount of money he delays court until those three months are up and he’s retired.

5 months… and his pension is secure under NYS civil service laws.

his court appearance is in may, so at the time of the appearance he has 3 months until his retirement.

unpaid suspension is only 30 days max. after that he will be on full-pay suspension.

he will milk out this time, and retire before he sees any type of jail time. in the event he goes to jail, he still has his pension. no matter the outcome he will be paid

Bretts a cop!

Miller is a 19-year veteran of the Albany Police Department, just three months away from being eligible for retirement. A conviction before reaching that retirement date could have implications on his pension and/or health benefits.

Not going to edit it again, confused why you’re saying 5 months.

Maybe in three months he will be 5 month away from being eligible? Which is when his court date as of now is which means he will be safe?

i was told 5 from eligibility. didnt read any of the text(sorry b-ryan)… but either way man, he will get a full pension, and be paid while the investigation takes place.

got family in the NYS retirement system, i know pretty well how the system operates.

you don’t go to jail on your first dwi (unless you kill/seriously injure someone), esp when there is no hard evidence of you being drunk. idk if he has other dwis but i would think it would be said in the article if he did.

I’m just posting what I’m reading.

dwi king!

internal investigation to open up other issues with this guy. but regardless jail or no jail. he will be retiring from the force regardless of the outcome. his pension is secure.

they are only making a big deal of this because of the position he held, and im glad they are, because he obviously upset someone enough to be arrested for something usually protected by the “code”

any other civil service employee, its whateverr

i wouldnt feel sorry for the dude just because he didnt get away for free… why should he ?