Alternator question?

My sister’s cavalier just had the serpentine belt slip off and she couldn’t steer… So we got it towed to the shop and they said it slipped off due to the alternator’s pulley being messed up, nothing wrong with the bettor the alternator other than than the pulley. My question is if she can just get the pulley fixed or does she need a whole new alternator? Oh and did I mention she can’t afford much :lol

Does the pulley spin straight?

Was the alternator ever replaced?

Alternator pulleys usually don’t come stand alone at part stores but you could find one online or at dealership. Possibly locally at places that rebuild them like excel or the like but it’s a long shot.

If the belt is fine doubtfull the pulley is screwed , if the belt shredded or suttin yeah but .

i’m guessing it spins straight due to the fact that the garage said she’s safe to drive it without replacing the alternator… she should eventually get it replaced though. I don’t think she’s had it replaced while she’s had the car which is almost 5 years

Exactly, belt is 100% fine, just popped off due to moisture, and apparently the pulley? $400 difference for her if she gets it fixed or not so I think she’ll chance it for now…

Text me pics of her, I may buy her an alternator if she’s cute and DTF

Sounds more like a tensioner problem.

Cavaliers are tensioner pulley sprung instead of bolting down a slider tensioner right?

If she drove off after they put it back on, I’d say their verdict is wrong.

Only possibility I see is the walls of the pulley broke off which is unlikely.

this

Doubt tensioner , Prolly hydroplaned and slipped off

I agree, and it passed inspection 2 weeks ago? Would thy have noticed if it was wearing down?

She started driving, 10 seconds later the battery light came on and she couldn’t steer.

Really, that sounds more likely to you than a tensioner problem? LOL

Ya can have a new tensioner and so on and still get water under a belt and have it slide off . Esp on cavaliers esp if the plastic water guard is missing . Trust me john I have seen way more weird shit car wise than most . Not saying its not possible the tesioner is week bit with all the water we had 2 come in same situation already

^ GM wizard has spoken