aluminized steel vs. mild steel

whats the difference?

im trying to buy some mandrel bends on jegs and the aluminized looks cheaper. why is that.

still weldable the same way?

WELDING IT IS MORE OF A PITA BUT IT DOES RUST MORE SLOWLY.

BUT STILL RUSTS.

gotcha, but does it weld with standard mild steel wire?

[quote=“boardjnky4,post:3,topic:27582"”]

gotcha, but does it weld with standard mild steel wire?

[/quote]

yes, but it tends to burn through if you are trying to weld pipe to pipe, be very carfule with teh edges, your going to have to stich the welds, if you overheat teh edges they will cave in and ull spend the next 20 minutes trying to fill the weld… its annoying, i bought them accidently on jegs and tried to pie cut them for a complex bend in a DP and gave up after all teh uglyness

damn. I think im gonna give it a shot anyways(im cheap)

oh yo, by the way. i saw ur car at average joe’s last night. me and ILCisDead were there for the whole game

[quote=“boardjnky4,post:5,topic:27582"”]

damn. I think im gonna give it a shot anyways(im cheap)

oh yo, by the way. i saw ur car at average joe’s last night. me and ILCisDead were there for the whole game

[/quote]

yea, i got dragged there, u shoulda came and found me (i dont know if ive ever met you or not)

if ur using a mig welder that doesnt have a good degree of adjustablility i would suggest not getting the aluminiezed… the welds came out SOOO much better on the mild steel and it was also easier to cut (when using a chop saw the aluminized tends to “fray” more i guess you could say, so ull be grinding off alot more crap to clean up the ends)

however if your ordered from jegs for milds, be careful cuz its coated in a light oil and has like vaselene on the isndie to keep them from rusting… the stuff can start on fire so if your holding the pipe watch out

my welder is VERY adjustable. Ill figure it out. im not worried about ugly welds, thats what the angle grinder is for lol

ive never met u, so i wouldnt know how to find you.

Welding aluminized gives off some really nasty fumes. Even when you clean it well. It will mess with you.

sweet, so i can work on my car and get high at the same time? :tup:

[quote=“Carnut,post:8,topic:27582"”]

Welding aluminized gives off some really nasty fumes. Even when you clean it well. It will mess with you.

[/quote]

Yeah, the zinc coating BLOWZZZZ, even if cleaned, there still will be residual zinc inbended into the base metal. Turns into nasty gas (phosgene? i believe). But in anycase, it is the suck. Weld quality will suffer as well (welds tend to be pourous, and brittle).

Personally I have never had a problem with welding aluminized pipe with the MIG welder. If you are picky you can clean it off with a brown roloc and then wipe it with acetone. I guess it would depend on what you are looking to build. Just a cheap custom exhaust get the aluminized. If you want something nice get the mild steel, weld it up then ship it to JetHot to be coated