Aluminum Welding with a MIG?

I know you can get aluminum weld wire for migs and that you would have to use 100% argon.

What I need to do is make some modifications to my oil pan. I want to delete my current oil drain and install a new aluminum oil drain bung.

Any tips for me? Anything I should know? Should I just pay someone?

you also need to reverse the polarities. aluminum mig welding isn’t easy, esp if you dont know that you’re doing. the aluminum needs to be realllly clean. the spool will go really fast, and it will spatter like crazy.

something like this should really be TIG welded.

:confused: , I know how it SHOULD be done, just sucks having a welder, and having to pay someone to weld shit…ughhh

edit:

What Polarity Setting is Needed?
All MIG welding, including on aluminum materials, requires electrode positive polarity, while flux-cored processes typically use electrode negative. If you are switching your wire feed welder between processes, make sure to switch your polarity. This is a common mistake that many beginning welders make.

[quote=“boardjnky4,post:3,topic:39819"”]

:confused: , I know how it SHOULD be done, just sucks having a welder, and having to pay someone to weld shit…ughhh

[/quote]

really, what is it, $30 to have it done right hte first time?

I was under the impression that you are supposed to use a spool gun to mig alum???

^ Correct. You NEED a spool gun. Aluminum wire will not feed through the sheath like steel.

people try to push, but it sucks. spool gun is alot better.

best bet is to just take it somewhere

[quote=“boardjnky4"”]

I know you can get aluminum weld wire for migs and that you would have to use 100% argon.

What I need to do is make some modifications to my oil pan. I want to delete my current oil drain and install a new aluminum oil drain bung.

Any tips for me? Anything I should know? Should I just pay someone?

[/quote]

Aluminum MIG with a spool gun is more for production work and welding plate or long runs. Not for something detailed like welding a bung in, because you would have to more so fast it would land up looking like shit. Not to mention you need at least a machine equivalent to a Millermatic 215 and a spool gun which are around $550. Just have it TIG’ed by someone

My welder has a push/pull gun setup for aluminum, but I have no way to run the welder right now… pm lowlyoilburner he is the man.

alright, im convinced that I wont get it right.

J&J - I have a millermatic 175, close enough? lol. no spool gun tho

Thanks Mr. Gary Burch

[quote=“boardjnky4,post:11,topic:39819"”]

alright, im convinced that I wont get it right.

J&J - I have a millermatic 175, close enough? lol. no spool gun tho

Thanks Mr. Gary Burch

[/quote]

Miller 175 is not even close of aluminum MIG work sorry, not enough current or duty cycle

to reverse the polarity on smaller welders usually you open the spool access cover and swap the wires.

you can try pushing but it sucks.

fuck it, i’m just gonna pay someone to do it

You can only use the “push” technique for alu GMAW welding. 100% argon, 100% helium or an argon helium blend is your only choice for sheilding gas. Aluminum GMAW is very common in industry.

Little 110v mig machines are a joke to begin with, trying to get them to run alu is even more funny. Spoolguns are pretty crude, but they work. A push/pull setup (Miller XR-edge, MK Python/ Cobramatic) is really the only way to go for aluminum wire feeding. Wire feed speed is generally much faster than that of mild steel or stainless. Thicker materials must be welded using spray-arc metal transfer( 24v+ direct currant electrode positive), while thinner stuff can be joined with lower voltage levels (18-21v, Direct currant, electrode positive).

GMAW-P ( pulsed) is very wide spread for aluminum GMAW.

[quote=“J&J,post:12,topic:39819"”]

Miller 175 is not even close of aluminum MIG work sorry, not enough current or duty cycle

[/quote]

The MM175/ 180 will work just fine as far as voltage/currant output is concerned. I don’t think you can plug in a Spoolmatic/Spoolmate into a 175 though. The new machines accept direct connect of the Spoolmate 3035 ( even the little Millermatic 140). Duty cycle is not an issue either.

Remember with “mig” welding:

Volts: heat
Currant: wire feed speed.

TIG it its much better looking and much easier in the long run.

[quote=“boardjnky4,post:14,topic:39819"”]

fuck it, i’m just gonna pay someone to do it

[/quote]

I was in the same boat, bought the parts to push for my welder. looked into…how much it was gona suck. Had it tig, I was happy:pimp:
http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26165

They got some nice millers at UB in the machine shop :slight_smile: