Another Discussion Thread

3800 V6, been around for 20+ years, and has undergone a few versions, 1, 2, 3, and now has just been upped to 3.9.

:uhh:

attaboy.

Ls1 without a doubt, and that hurts to say that.

lmao!

neways when comparing stats the rb does not compare to the 2jz

+1

I don’t see how you can pick an engine as the best without saying what application it’s best for. Desired powerband changes for one thing. For autoX I’d rather have a car with a broad power band than a peaky one, but for drag peaky can be fine if the car is set up to use the power well.

Weight requirements are different for different things as well. The RB26DETT is great for big power on a stock block, but it’s a tankass compared to an LS1 for instance and where weight counts more than being able to make 1500 whp on a stock block it loses. Some little Honda engines are heavier than the LS1 too.

Also if it’s an engine designed for turbo the NA guys will say the engine is garbage without the turbo even though that is the only way it is designed to run. I couldn’t pick one winner, but it’s a fun discussion anyways. :slight_smile:

-Mike

it’s hard to pick the “best” cause there are so many variables as to what someone considers “best” as. best power handling? best reliabilty? best gas mileage? etc

4g63, 3sgte, sr20det, 13brew, 2jz, rb26dett etc are all great turbo import motors, its had to say which one is the “best”, let alone then you also have to consider all the n/a motors AND all the domestic motors ( i wont even bother cause i won’t try to pretend i’d know what i was talking about ha), its impossible to pick just one

you could argue for years on such a vague topic

2jzs are no doubt sweet because of crazy overbuild bottom end

LS1 is also the sweetness due to weight and the power it puts down NA

Audi’s AAN 20V 5cyl turbo.
http://www.pistenbulli.franken.de/images/turbomotor.jpg

Any version of VAG’s TDI. I have found that even people who hate VWs are still fans of this engine.

BMWs S52 and S54

The Porsche 951 2.5L turbo 4 cyl is a pretty incredible engine.

I won’t bother reiterating all the other engines in this thread so I’ll add the Boss 302, underrated at 290bhp, 7000+ rpm redline and the race stats and longevity too back it up. Oh yeah, it was built before 98% of the people here (myself included) were a twitch in their daddies’ nuts.

The Honda NR superbike 750 32v engine. Oval pistons, two conrods per.

Also, the flathead Ford V8, the VW air-cooled 1600, the Street Hemi series, Honda IMA (integrated motor assist, whatever it’s coded internally) and the 13B/20B rotaries. All pretty important historically.