Another dmv title question.

My uncle wants to sell his car, 2 years ago it belonged to my cousin and he totaled it, it was claimed totaled by the ins company. Well my uncle took the car over took the money got it fixed by a certified shop. Well he went to register it and he had no problems.

He for some reason was not asked for the title at the dmv,Why i dont know and he dont know…

But anyways what would he need to sell it to someone else? I told him he would most likely have to get the salvaged title, then sign that over to the buyer… Was i almost right on that?

does the title he have say salvaged on it?

No he still has the original. Thats why i think he may have to get the salvaged title first.

does the dmv recognize the car as salvaged

if they dont just sell it to the guy with the original title

most likely they don’t know it was totaled b/c u wouldn’t of been able to register the car. IF they do by chance know it’s totaled u gotta go threw NYS Title Inspection which is a pain in the ass and usually have to wait 3-6weeks for an apt. why not just take the title to the dmv play dumb. OR run a car fax, if it doesn’t say salvaged there- then ur golden

They do know it was salvaged. And repaired.

oh, so the title is still in your cousins name but its registered to your uncle? Why not just have your cousin sign the title over to whoever is buying it

i believe that the salvaged title branding only gets applied when the car is 4 years old or less. (give or take). if the car was older than this then i believe it would just need to pass a normal yearly vehicle inspection. could definitely be wrong though.

Its a 2000 kia sephia thingy.