registering a car with salvage title

Does NYS require extra effort to do so? I thought that I had read for a NEWLY salvaged car there needed to be an inspection examination (MV-899). My question is- if it was previously registered in NYS having the salvage title, is a new inspection required each time? or does the first, initial inspection following salvage suffice.

So it was totaled, fixed, inspected and registered. Then totaled again? Jesus.

I would assume that an inspection is required every time. Salvage inspections probably don’t just stay on the car no matter what happens to it.

EDIT - is this the Acura that you were looking at not too long ago?

haha no no. It wasnt wrecked again. I just have yet to register it and im trying to get everything together. NYS DMV makes it seem like the Salvage Examination is a one time thing where they give the Salvage ‘blessing/curse’ on the title which will forever more be on each title issued. I do believe it means that no damage acknowlegdement is needed from seller or buyer because it already has salvage on it. I think i’m clear, but their information is so confusing lol

if the car has a title already then you just register it as normal. you only need the inspection if you are the first registrant after the totalling

ooooooohhhhh. Got it. No, from what I remember you do not need to get a re-examination for the salvage title. Once it has it, it lasts until it gets wrecked again.

If I’m wrong, someone please correct me.

x2,

great, thank you very much. Anyone know of good insurence?

nope def don’t need another inspection… as far as good insurance? uh, dunno shop the big ones Geico, Progressive, State Farm, Allstate etc

geico has always been cheap for me

Griff, you had geico with a salvaged car?

Off topic here but what are you doing about insurance? Can you even get comp and collision on a vehicle with salvage title? Liability only and only through certain companies?

not off topic at all… its my next concern. I have two answers- you can find liability and personal protection only (progressive, all state, statefarm) and NEVER comprehensive/collision, or that if you dig, you can find comprehensive… cost wise? I have heard its comparable to any clean title car, with the exception being should you claim on your comprehensive, the insurence company will not pay out near the value of the repair. so… its a gamble either way. I suppose I have to call around and cross my fingers. Tues and Wed i’ll be hunting, so i’ll keep you posted. you in a similar boat?

I was hopin someone on here who has owned a salvaged car would have a good reccomendation…

i had a salvage car, i had fire, full collision, theft, everything. idk what insurance i had, my card is in my car in my driveway but im too lazy to go get it :slight_smile:

i think it was “farmers” or something… no idea if they are just local to buffalo or what, ill go check later for you

i have no idea how insurance works, or understand anything about it, but my friend who just bought my grand prix w/ a salvage title was involved in an accident, which there was 3000$ worth of damage, which im pretty sure is over the value of the car. That being said, the insurance company could not “give him another salvage title”, and everything was fixed. i feel so bad for that car lol

shit man go check! haha. id like to know because I would prefer to have total coverage, but I guess i would have to weigh the pos and neg of comprehensive insurence if the cost was sky high. PM me if you wouldnt mind, or post it up for reference. i’ll hook you up with a car fax haha

fyi- i’ve fixed/driven salvage cars for most of my life. If your title says “Rebuilt Salvage” on it then there’s no inspection needed. As for insurance I’ve never had any problems getting reasonable insurance on a salvage titled car. always been the same. If you have any other questions throw me a PM been threw all the bullshit many times. gl man