Registering a Salvage Title

NVM

You are fucked. probably.

You do need to get an appointment for an inspection. Without receipts they have no way of knowing the parts you bought are stolen or not, which is their main concern.

Find a way to give the car back and get most of your money. It will be cheaper and easier in the long run

[QUOTE=)><(((x>;2299117]So I bought a salvage title car. The previous owner checked the back of the box on the title saying that it had been in an accident…75% of it was totaled, whatever. My questions is what do I have to do to register it? Or more clarification at least I’ve read the DMV website and it basically says that I have to go apply for a new title, mail that to albany then wait for the new title to get mailed to me then the DMV has to inspect the car to make sure everything isn’t stolen. Is this correct? Can anyone shed some more light on this?

Also, I see the inspection is asking for receipts of parts, what do I do about this if I have no receipts of parts seeing as I"m the new owner?[/QUOTE]

I was looking into this a while back…

IIRC you have too schedule an appointment with a DMV inspection station, than you have to pay $500.00, and they inspect it and make sure it is in safe and working order and all parts have been repaired . You cannot drive it too the inspection station, and if you fail, they keep your 500.00 and you ahve too go through it all over again.

IMHO a pain in the dick

it’s all on the dmv website, google it

I kinda doubt the $500 fee.

I did google it that’s why I’m asking for clarification.

edit about the fee:

no sense in quoting the whole page, just read all of this: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/salvexam.htm

edit:

read all of this: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/salvexam.htm

Read most of it. SO seeing as I don’t have receipts of anything is it safe to say I’m fucked and can proceed to taking pop shots and starting the car on fire?

noooooo

There is no possible way to give the car back. At this point I’ll take any reasonable offer of cash.

why? go back to the guy and say “you sold me a car I have no way of registering because you never provided receipts and the parts may be stolen” and see what he says.

OR. Are there any pictures of the car pre-damaged? if so buy the parts that were needed to complete the repairs (the inspectors like to see pictures, it makes their job easier by knowing where to look), go to the inspection with receipts and car, return parts once inspection is complete since you never actually put them on your car.

so the car is a salvage as it sits? or has a rebuilt salvage title?

what kind of car?

this will make a big difference

Good news fellows! The previous owner thought that if the insurance paid any amount of money to have it fixed it was totalled. A few phone calls later and a visit to his mechanic revealed that it is not a salvage title and a duplicate title is on it’s way to him as we speak, a clean one. So I can just go have that title signed over to me with the CORRECT box checked on the back , saying that the vehicle is not a salvage.

Haha, what a retard. Good for you though!

Hell yes good for me! Lol thanks. And it also gives me 5 days to fix the valve cover gasket and rear brakes.

What is it?

Miata.