Need help registering a salvage title car

Ok so i recently purchased a car with a PA salvage title thinking i would have no problem registering here in NY. I went to the DMV this morning and they told me i have to send a form out to Albany and wait for a reply back (they said this could take 3-5 months) I would then have to make an appointment with a DMV inspection place that is on Digens st in Buffalo this could take another 2-3 weeks. The car itself is in great shape no signs of a wreck just that awful label on the title… My question is does it really take that long? Am i taking the proper steps? Their has to be an easier and quicker way of doing this. If anybody has insight, knowledge, or CAN actually do this for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Francesco

The DMV already answered your question and told you what you need to do.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/salvexam.htm

what do you need help with, it seems the dmv has already told you.

yes it takes a while to get a car salvage inspected. sometimes less time than quoted

Well now this doesn’t make sense.

it sucks been there done that. Just got to wait it out.

you’ll wait and wait and wait, and then you’ll go to the inspection shop, they’ll look at the car, pop the hood, and you’ll be on your way

it sucks, but send the form today and hopefully the wait wont be as long as they initially said

i remember xwalkerx went through this in like 2001, maybe he’ll chime in y0

It amazes me people will buy a car without researching this first.

^+1. Don’t buy an out of state, un-inspected, salvaged titled…oh wait.

You are stuck waiting. That’s the rule. Also, don’t drive the car around just because you are waiting.

INB4GOTPULLEDOVERANDTHEYIMPOUNDEDMYCARANDIOWETHOUSANDSINFINESWTF?!

2-3 weeks now thats funny. last i heard there was 45-60 day back up

Yep and I heard it costs quite a bit to have it inspected, re-titiled and registered like $500+

Ny state is fuckin retarded. Buyin salvaged stuff is tough cuz of the fine print and all the albany b.s

I’ve done this before and yup you have to wait wait wait then get it inspected and you’ll be on your way. If you know someone like me in another state you can get a temporary tag for 30 days and just keep buying them until you get it done in NYS so you can drive it.

I remember that- we skipped school when he went to register the thing that day, and got shot down big time.

it’s basically a money maker for ny. They are really just checking out vins and for stolen parts, that’s it. Guys are armed and it takes em like 5 minutes.

lol yeah that sucked but ended up waiting it out and it only took like a month to get my appt.

looks like you wont be as fortunate.

when i went for my appt i pulled the car in a bay they popped the hood and closed it right away and said have a nice day. what a fucking joke. all that time waiting for an inspection that takes less than 5 min. whatever i learned my lesson and loved the car so i guess it all worked out.

I was told the nys dmv dosent recognize pa salvage titles and a vehicle I bought would have to go thru the nys salvage inspection process.

It was a parts car that some people had intrest in buying, so I looked into it.

I think people get confused between a car that has already gone through the NYS salvage inspection process and one that still needs to. If the car had a NYS salvage title already it went through the process and you can register it but if it is from another state or was wrecked and hasn’t gone through the salvage inspection you have to do that.

You really should have looked into this first, lesson learned.

This