Out of state salvage title ?

If you buy a car from out of state with a salvage title how much BS is involved with registering it in NY??

For example the car is a 02 and from MI

Thanks

omg stay away! I personally went threw this a few years ago, i got a great deal on the car, but it took about 6 or 7 months to get on the road. And the car had already been fixed and passed inspection in CT. You have to go to one of 3 special state salvage and auto theft inspection sites, which can take months before a spot is available. Also if you can not trailer it (which i could not afford) you have to get it trailered to a regular safety inspection place and back and apply for a 1 day driving pass (which is not like a window sticker or anything… its just a letter from the dmv that you show to the 5 cops that will pull you over that day for not having a plate) only to be used to go to the inspection site. And assuming you pass the first time (i did so this is basically the end) you get your plates and everything withing 2 weeks after passing. So unless you are getting a great deal and dont care to drive the car untill next year stay away.

^ I donno about all that.

In my experiences as long as the car has its title already, you can register it just as any out of state car. No special inspections or anything cause its already been checked in MI for that to get the salvage title to begin with.

If there is the case that you do, it does take from 1 to 2 months for the state safty inspection and you drop the car there for a day. Not a huge deal, but might be annoying to sit on it for a few months.

To find out the real process i’d say swing by a DMV (or try to call) and see what the supervisor has to say.

we need to sticky this… this question as come up so many times

I dunno what you are talking about.

I bought a car in Mass. with a salvage/reconstructed title.

It took almost 5 mos. to get into the inspection station on Dingens

I could not register the vehicle as just any old vehicle like a normal title.

I would stay away from it unless u plan to miss this season as there is no guaranteed time frame for getting into the inspection.

That said the inspection process is relatively pain free and not time consuming.

Plus should they find something wrong with the car you will need to fix/change whatever they ask and then go back for a followup inspection.

its not worth it unless you got such a good deal on the car that you are willing to deal with the BS… first you have to get ALL info about the car (current title, reg if they have one, owners info, receipt etc) and then go to the DMV website to schedule your appt at one of the salvage inspections stations, then you can go to the DMV in person with all of the previous info and your inspection receipt

read the DMV website info first:
http://www.nysdmv.com/salvexam.htm

The timing is a hit or miss. i’ve sent 3 cars through the inspection process in the past 6 months and each one was ~1 month for an appoinment. Some times i waited as long as 6 months for the inspection, but right now it is fairly quick.

As for registering, i register all my salvage cars normally, so i don’t know why you couldnt. I’ve only owned slavages and i never once in 23 cars had issues registering them.

I was able to register it normally after it went through the inspection to get a NYS salvage/rebuilt title.

Just trying to walk in the DMV with an out of state salvage/rebuilt title didnt get me past the examiner line. They gave me the form for the salvage inspection here before they would allow me to register the car in NY

My motorcycle is a rebuilt NH title and the DMV mistakenly let me register the bike and then sent a letter about 6 months later saying they made a mistake and to send them a check for $175 (I believe the salvage inspection is $200 now) and they would make an appointment for me. I just said forget it and took it off the road and now NY state still has my title somewhere and won’t give it back without an inspection. Basically I have a bike with no title I can’t sell now.

It’s not that bad. It does take some time depending on the back up in albany. Keep in mind if you go to georgeurban/broadway etc…DMV they are not DMV’s they are erie county auto bureau’s, and will have no idea what you are talking about. If you have salvage or salvage exam questions the local number is 826-1501 (340 Dingens St.) that is a state OFI/salvage office. They will give you the proper answers. Be nice to Vicki if you call.

i know theres a way to register it in a certain state, and when The title comes back its a clean title.

See title washing, people do it… its not exactly legal.

NJ was famous for it. They’ve closed some of the loop holes in the past couple years.

^yep we have had a few people try trading in cars with NJ titles and we found out they were magically wrecked but the title had not been noted as salvaged…good try but no cigar