Registering a out of state car

Im looking at a car from out of state right (michigan) now but it has a salvage title. Will the dmv or insurance give me any problems. The car was fixed and inspected. Also is there anything special I need to do to register a car from out of state. This is my first time ever buying something.

Also what would be the best way to get it home. Its a 6 hour drive.

see this thread
http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62322&highlight=registering+salvage

and driving it back would be your best bet.

and this one
http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48573&highlight=registering+salvage

Where in MI?

i just got a car from ann arbor area, wasnt any different then titleing anything ive got here…infact if you need it towed, my buddy comes back every few weeks and im sure would drag it back for a few bucks …

thanks spec,I’m on my phone and search button is a pain. the car is in homer,mi. driving it back how would I get plates?

dealer, sometimes people will let u borrow plates and mail them back, but highly doubtful.
or just rent a dolly…

top at a dmv by there and get an intranist plate. all you need is the bill of sale from the guy you are buying it from and the title. i think. thats what i did when i brought mine back from florida

not ALL states do this. Call the MI DMV and ask them if you can get TEMP plates to transport the car.

did the car have salvage title? this salvage title bs that nys does is kinda scarying me away because I don’t feel like waiting a month or more seeing I plan on keeping the car for this summer

MI DMV has transfer tags, I have gone that route before

I would be very cautious of the salvage title though, more than likely NY state will hold shit up forever

the car seems like a good deal but with all the bs nys will probably give me I really don’t feel like putting up with it. like I said before I’m only driving this next car I buy for the summer

:tup: and :tup:

Some guys I’ve known have been held up by the NY Salvage Inspection for 1-3 months. Better make sure every VIN tag is accounted for or receipt for replacement. If you know a NY dealer, they might be able to help you out…dealers can sometimes breeze through the process.

Good luck, I’ve shyed away from a couple out of state salvage deals because of NY :tdown:

If the salvage has already been fixed do you still need to run it through the NYS salvage inspection? That would really suck. It took about 1 month when I did mine.

Yes, NY doesn’t care if it was already inspected by another state. Still has to go through the process. Only way it doesn’t is if you’re buying a salvage car from another NYer who already went through the NY inspection.