Getting a salvage title

Here’s the story - I crashed my two-fiddy, insurance of the driver who was at fault totaled it, offered me to keep the bike.
I did, so now I’m supposed to get my title branded as salvage, and then make an appointment with dmv to get it inspected and get “rebuild” title.
Here’s the problem - no-one knows how to get the “salvage” title.
People at dmv just go bug-eyed and tell me to call 486-6560 which is automated service for salvage inspection requiring a case number.
In other words - useless, since I don’t know how to make that damn appointment in the first place.
The insurance that totaled it pointed me to the same number.
On the letter they sent me with the settlement it said to send my title along with their letter to a dmv address to get the new title,
but when I called the insurance they weren’t even sure what I was talking about. I don’t want to send out my title to dmv and get it lost in the system.
Has anybody dealt with this?
I’m starting to feel like I’m chasing my own tail.

Not with bikes, but with cars I have through work. The procedure we follow is mailing the title to the DMV and they return the branded title. Now for inspection (facility is in Highland NY) you MUST keep all receipts of parts replaced because if it’s not numbers matching they will fail it.

What do you include with the title and what address do you mail it to?
Maybe it’s the same as what it says in the letter, hmm…

Now for inspection (facility is in Highland NY) you MUST keep all receipts of parts replaced because if it’s not numbers matching they will fail it.

whoa. what if you got the parts from a private seller, were given them for free or got them on ebay; in other words there is no receipt of sale?

You absolutely need some sort of receipt. They show no leniency when it comes to that. Truthfully, I’m not even sure if they were accept parts salvaged from other machines through private sellers because they are not nys licensed dismantlers.

MV-899 is the application for examination

This is from the DMV website:

Provide your sales receipts and proofs of ownership. You must show a sales receipt for each of the replaced parts, or your proof of ownership for other vehicles that you used to supply replacement parts. The proofs must show the complete VIN of the vehicle. The receipts and the proofs must match the correct parts included in the rebuilt vehicle.

Check for stolen vehicle parts. Frequently a person buys a vehicle part and does not know that the part was stolen. NYS law requires the DMV to confiscate a vehicle part if the DMV investigator determines during the examination that the vehicle part was stolen. The DMV can impound the complete vehicle if the stolen part is a major part like the engine or the transmission. If the complete vehicle is stolen, the DMV confiscates the vehicle and returns the vehicle to the legal owner.

Send the title in with Forms MV-103 (use this if the title is not branded yet) and MV-899 to:

Title Services Bureau
NYSDMV
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228

well, that sucks some serious ass.
The only parts that actually need replacing on it is a mirror and footpeg bracket, but Phibbs asks ~$100 for each, and I already got the bracket on ebay :idiots

MV-899 is the application for examination

This is from the DMV website:

Provide your sales receipts and proofs of ownership. You must show a sales receipt for each of the replaced parts, or your proof of ownership for other vehicles that you used to supply replacement parts. The proofs must show the complete VIN of the vehicle. The receipts and the proofs must match the correct parts included in the rebuilt vehicle.

Check for stolen vehicle parts. Frequently a person buys a vehicle part and does not know that the part was stolen. NYS law requires the DMV to confiscate a vehicle part if the DMV investigator determines during the examination that the vehicle part was stolen. The DMV can impound the complete vehicle if the stolen part is a major part like the engine or the transmission. If the complete vehicle is stolen, the DMV confiscates the vehicle and returns the vehicle to the legal owner.

Hopefully someone who actually had to deal with this while salvaging a bike can clarify this, but it sounds like a fucking nightmare.

Send the title in with Forms MV-103 (use this if the title is not branded yet) and MV-899 to:

103 is on the back of the title though, isn’t it only used when you sell/transfer ownership of the vehicle?
which parts of it need to be filled out?

Title Services Bureau
NYSDMV
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228

address seems to match the one in my letter, so i guess it’s the same place.
will they brand it salvage for free or is there a fee you have to pay?
thanks for your help btw, I appreciate it.

MV-103 is also used to acknowledge damage. You’re pretty much going through the same process as requesting a duplicate title, only once it passes inspection the title will come back branded as rebuilt salvage. You can also use form MV-907A. I forgot to mention that prior.

I’m truly not sure if the fees for bikes are different. For cars it’s:

$105 due at the time you mail your title and paperwork.

For the exam it’s:

$200 if you have form MV907A, $205 if not plus $25 for them to re-VIN each and every replaced part.

So you would have to send a check for 305-310, depending on the paperwork you have, when all of that goes in. Then 25 at the exam for each replaced part.

I believe that you may be able to get around the parts issue if you obtained a notarized statement from the person selling the parts stating that he sold you “x” part from "y’ machine (provide VIN number).

Thanks Vandal, this clears it up somewhat.
After passing inspection and getting issued a rebuild title you still have to pay for registration correct?
Do you know any dmv numbers where I could call and ask about the procedures for motorcycles?
Title bureau is the only one I can think of, but they are closed till tomorrow and their website doesn’t go into specifics.

1-800-call-dmv
(518) 486-4714

Unfortunately, all numbers at the DMV are only mon-fri 9-4

make sure you ask if the pieces need to have any sort of vin stickers on them. I had a friend replace them, and didnt have stickers on, they gave him an uber hard time about the whole process.

just bring the bike to vermont…they dont ask a damn question…and you can use your ny address…all they want is the money…my girlfriend has a bike with a salvaged title…it would have been almost easier to let the INS. CO. keep the bike…i think if you even do go through DMV, the title is still going to say “rebuilt”… oh and it is a nightmare, we were going to try and get a new title but it was a huge run a round…so we gave up…good luck

Yep, I’m planning on going to VT with my 636. The only problem is you have to Trailer it there?

will that work if the title hasn’t been branded as salvage by NY yet, or do i need to do that first?
so far I can’t even figure out how to salvage it, people at the dmv pretend like they don’t know anything.

edit; - to clarify - insurance totaled it, but paperwork is still clean - no brands on the title, I’m supposed to figure out how to get that done myself apparently.
if i go to vermont, will they give a shit if it’s not labeled as “salvage” yet?
does anyone know if they register all bikes or have some restriction on CCs? I think I read somewhere that they might not be registering totaled 250s or something

well if it doesn’t say “salvage” on the title…i would just try to register it in NY and don’t say anything about it being a salvaged title… i got the “salvage” part off of the vermont title and tried to register it in NY but at the last second it popped up on the computer that it was salvaged …if it’s not in dmv’s records then you should be good…other then that…just go to vermont…they don’t check anything

I was thinking of trying to sneak it past the nydmv, but I’m guessing the insurance co. made dmv aware that it’s totaled so they might know. :ninja
I might still try it (and play stupid if it doesn’t pan out), but vermont sounds easy enough to do anyway, just gotta figure out the details.

i would say +1 on acting naive.

if they come back and say you can’t do it because it’s been branded as totalled then the same source should also give you the exact details of how to go about the process properly.

in order to register the bike in vermont, don’t you technically have to live in vermont?? as in transfer your license over and all that jazz?

+1
anyone care to to shed some light on this?

well, I proved myself wrong on that whole thing

taken from the vermont DMV website:

"Q: Does a person have to be a resident of Vermont in order to register a vehicle in Vermont?
A:

No."

http://www.aot.state.vt.us/DMV/FAQ/FAQSRegistration.htm

another link for more info

http://www.aot.state.vt.us/DMV/REGISTRATION/Motorcycles/MOTORCYCLES.htm

like i said in a previous post…you can use you ny address…also the worst thing NY DMV is going to say is,“sorry you cant register it, fill these papers out and then you can”. i’m also almost 100% that if you do go through the long ass process the title is still going to say “rebuilt”. then just go to VT. but i would try to act stupid first with NY…you also might be lucky enough that your ins co didnt tell dmv yet and was leaving that up to you…

some more questions of legal nature;
if a bike title was not branded a total (although the bike is) , how would insurance process for it work?
I would imagine, even if you went to VT you’d still have to inform the company whether the bike is a salvage or not, because some companies do not insure salvages.
if your insurance company isn’t aware that the bike is totaled and you get into an accident - what happens? :ponder

If the title isn’t branded, there really is no way they can know.

The accident would only show up on your driver’s abstract (if it was reported to police and/or you reported it to insurance and filled out that DMV form to report an accident). Even then, I believe, it just says accident.

I’m not sure about how VT DMV works. They might hold you to NY Salvage standards since it’s a NY title. I only say this because I bought my Talon out of Rhode Island and it was a freakin mess because they have different titles and standards. I had to prove that the title and resale forms were perfectly legal in RI before NYDMV would accept it. 3 week battle with that one.

I truthfully couldn’t get any really solid info to help you on the VT DMV site.