Salvage Title Re-Titling

This is about the only area about bikes I require alot of help with. So If I were going to pick up a salvage title bike, How would I go about getting the title legit to ride it. Say I bought the parts needed to fix it, could I put them on myself and get it inspected at a dealer such as laks or bucks? Would I have to have a liscensed shop put them on for me, or would I have to buy them through a shop and have them put them on. What if I wanted to turn the bike into a streetfighter? I have tools, and have a good knowledge of bikes, and have done alot of mods to my old bike (anyone on sportriders.org could tell you) but know nothing about the salvage re-titling process. Could you guys please shed some light on this subject. Thanks

make sure every part you buy has a reciept, stolen parts are pretty common on ebay ect. I’m pretty sure bike’s go thru a salvage inspection the same as cars do. Takes anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months.

Thanks for the advice but it really dosent help me too much. Can anyone else chime in on this subject please.

ALSO

Ok but for an example say I wanted to buy this bike(I dont but its an example)… http://www.wreckedbikes.net/showproduct.php?product=259&cat=1&limit=recent&date=1244652018 …It says salvage title, needs upper fairing. What if I wanted to streetfighter it? Would I beable to skip getting a front upper fairing for it? How would I get it re titled then.

Look on sportriders.org they have a thread devoted to this topic that has a lot of info.

Cant, theyre redoing the site or else I would.

Yes u have to go threw a NYS Salvage Title inspection, You MUST have all receipts (best to have vin of bike part came off) Its a very simple process, go to the dmv website and you should be able to find it. I think it’s around $200 for the inspection (that was it was for my car atleast). I know the bike doesn’t need to have plastics on it to pass. must have all lights working as well as horn and bike needs to fully function normally. hope that helps