Salvage -> R-Title Process?

I’m currently looking at buying a bike w/ a salvage title for a project. Does anyone know exactly what the process is of getting it retitled as an R-title after the bike is completely fixed? I’m trying to see how much trouble this would really be.

same thing as a car

pics of it wrecked, written description of work done, reciepts, pics of finished, state inspection, mail it in. bike has to be returned to 100% factory condition

Meaning paint/decals too? If I bought this it would be getting painted a little different.

that would be ok to change paint
but has to meet all current state inspection requirements
lights, signals, mufflers fenders, etc

in fact bike does not have to be painted for pictures, that way you can take the bike back apart and send all paperwork in and paint it. once bike is all back together your title should have arrived. think it took 15 days to get title!! the turn around was extremely fast

u dont need befor pics

couldnt you just take pics of another bike and send them in to get a jump start on it, i mean a gsxr is a gsxr right?

As long as you have a crooked mechanic friend, that would work.

so quik says it has to be 100% factory, and jeff says it just has to pass state inspection…
which one is it?? that’s sorta nice to know… b/c for example, exhaust cans are expensive as hell to get factory ones… aftermarket is cheaper… except if you go lookin on ebay… but aftermarket will pass the inspection… so will lots of other stuff that’s far from factory… i severely doubt it has to be 100% factory.

see if this helps at all http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-recon.pdf

cans may pass,some light etc may not,must have lights ,mirrors & saftey stuff

correct, the safety stuff has to be equivalent to OEM
such as mirros need same surface area
lights too, so you can’t buy small lights and expect them to pass
but if you keeping the bike essentially stock it will pass

when i did mine i had to havebefore pics of when it was wrecked!!!

not no more

o things have changed over the past 2 yrs then

You will need to fill out for mv-426 for the state:
http://www.dotdevuat.state.pa.us/pdotforms/mv_forms/mv-426B.pdf

Basically, keep all of your reciepts for tax purposes. You will need 4 pictures of the bike. They can be complete or in primer. You do not need pictures of the wrecked bike.

Fill out your name, address, and stuff like that. Then get an inspection mechanic to fill out the rest. They should charge $25 or whatever their standard inspection fee is. I got someone else to do the title work and send the paperwork in to PADot. That cost $125 but was well worth it.

You need the form 426 which you can get online, you also need form MV-1, which you can probably get from AAA or a car dealer (last I seen it wasn’t online), it’s the basic vehicle sale form - fill out all relevant info and make sure to get it notarized!

As mentioned, you need to pass inspection, it’s a basic check to validate road worthiness - everything the mech. will be checking is right in the form 426. Most aftermarket cans should be OK.

Keep receipts - everything, from bill of sale to every part you buy. You will need to add up the cost of the vehicle and all parts and pay PA sales tax on it. If you bought something in Pa and paid sales tax, make sure you note that when you itemize things out and don’t include it in your total. Here’s a tip, only put on there what you needed to make the bike road worthy. If you changed the blinker fluid even though it didn’t need it don’t add it on, it’ll save you some $$$ on the tax.

You don’t need before pics, but take plenty just in case something is questioned. You have to have clear pics of each side, as well as front and rear.