Salvage Title Question

Since everyone was so helpful with the R Title question I had, I again turn to the Pittspeed community for answers.

The person I was talking to about a bike erroneously told me that it was an R Title, which generated the previous post.

I just talked to the guy again, and he told me that he has a “Certificate of Salvage”.

He apparently got the bike from a guy that buys abandoned, stolen, mildly wrecked, bikes and cars, and then sells them with a Certificate of Salvage.

How hard is it to title a bike that already has the Certificate of Salvage? Any additional costs or fees?

A giant hassle?

Thanks in advance.

For a car it was a big hassle.

I don’t know if the process is the same, but you need to buy the Salvage book and get the bike repaired to OEM condition then inspected by a licensed mechanic. Then you need to send the book (via a Notary) in to PennDOT and if everything looks good you will get back an R title and registration.

However, the book has to be filled out TO THE T… I mean every I needs to be dotted and T crossed. I had a hell of a time getting my car titled and it wasn’t even wrecked.

Hope this helps, I know some more guys will be able to chime in.

Call Norms Cycle Salvage in homestead…ask to speak to Luke. He does r-titles on bikes and would know better than most

The guy that original sold the bike to the guy that is currently selling it will supposedly take care of everything, but the bike is not completely road ready just yet.

I will give the place in Homestead a call.

I’m not sure if they do bikes, but just recently, I bought a car on a salvage certificate at JJ’s Automotive.

They made the r title process very easy.:burnout:

The enhanced inspection station they use did everything. Dropped the car off in the morning with the receipts and paperwork, picked up at lunch with new plate/owner’s card(registration) and state inspection. Title came 5 days later in the mail.

Very simple and fast!

if u do it correct,it aint!

yes is not that hard!~

I’ve made a few calls and found a few places that will do everything as was stated above.

Why is there such a big price difference? One place said $100, another said $265. Are the fees set by the state or is this something the enhanced station does on their own?

Everyone that I talked to said that bikes are much easier.

there is no set fee,they can charge what they want!

x2

I found out that there is a list of “Enhanced Inspection STations” online. There are several around that do bikes and trailers, most just do cars and trucks.

I also have discovered that it is probably better to go to a place that is one stop shopping. Elizabeth Auto Sales will do everything, paper work, notary, inspections, etc. and I can be driving the bike that day.

Norms does it, but they don’t do the notary work.

If it helps there is a notary less than a 1/4 mile away right across from army’s transmissions

yeah, but norm’s still kinda sucks.