Converting to on-road???

Ok, so it doesn’t look like I am going to sell my 87’ XR600R soon. I was thinking about registering it for the road, but I never got a title with the bike. The bike already has a headlight and taillight.

My question is, if I picked up a baja lighting kit to make the bike completly road legal. Could I attain a title for the bike though DMV some how? I was told that I don’t necessarily need a title for the bike since it’s over 20 years old, just a copy of the VIN? Any help is appreciated :smile

i dont know about making it road legal. but there r three forums u fill out a white one a yellow one and then the green and white reggy forum.

as long as vin is clean and visible just take a piece of paper and pencil and rub the numbers on the paper. when u got to dmv they’ll give u a 30 day temp reeggy. to make sure the bike dont take any stolen hit’s . then after 30 days of no hit’s they send u a good reggy.

hope this helps.

ohh and on the forums they give u, they want the person who sold u the bike to fill em out. but u dot know this person any more have a good friend or the wife fill em out thats what i did for the r. i was not driving back to dolgesville… ;D

Thanks! That’s pretty much what I was looking for. It wouldn’t matter that the bike wasn’t street legal before will it? It was last reg. in MA for trails, but thats it.

i have done this before you have to sign up for a dot inspection on new karner rd in colonie drop the bike off completed then they will either pass or fail it and issue a title and vin for it

DMV’s site has no info on getting a bike titled :angry2

The bike does have a VIN on it. I just don’t have a title for it. Doesn’t that dot inspection cost $200? I thought it was mainly for rebuilt salvage vehicals.

the bike is titled but not titled for the road and it does cost 200

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/salvexam.htm

you have to look harder next time

Yea I found that section before. I didn’t think that the bike would be listed for a salvage title though.

“The DMV will not examine or issue a title certificate or a vehicle registration to a rebuilt salvage vehicle that does not have a title certificate or form MV-907A that proves ownership.”

NYS/DMV is gay.

wait for snow.
Have fun.

Take 40 mins, ride up to VT, problem solved.

It’s not like you don’t have friends with big ol’ trucks to throw that thing in. :ponder

VT is so much more lenient on DMV rules and policies.

Even a salvage theft inspection is easier in VT. Just take the car to a sherrif’s station and have a sheriff sign off on it.

I went thru the bullshit with a salvage car here in NY and its a complete fuck around. At the time it was $120 and I paid for it and turned in the paperwork in Albany in October and didnt get an appointment until February and then I had to wait a few weeks for the title.

Yep VT also allows to register a solid vehicle no problem.

Also from what I’ve heard, you can register a non titled vehicle there, with just a bill of sale to get a VT title. But don’t quote me on that.

Don’t you have to be a VT resident though?

I don’t want to have it inspected for a salvage title anyways. The bikes never been wrecked or anything, I just want a new title for it in my name.

All you need is a PO box in VT to register a vehicle. Ive seen it done before.

:nod did it after my dwi ;D

You don’t even need that.

Q: Does a person have to be a resident of Vermont in order to register a vehicle in Vermont?
A:

No.

http://www.aot.state.vt.us/dmv/FAQ/FAQSRegistration.htm

And…

Q: How do I register a motorcycle in Vermont when I purchased the motorcycle in another state?
A:

You must provide DMV with the following: a completed Registration Application (form #TA-VD-119), the bill of sale, the title to the motorcycle, an updated (current) odometer statement and payment of the proper fees. If you did not purchase the motorcycle from a dealer (if you purchased it from a private individual) you will also need a “Visual Verification of Serial Number” completed. If you had registered the motorcycle in another state you will also need proof of the amount of tax paid to the other state.

I’ve known people just show up there, give them their NY address and it was never a problem. Some even rode out there on the bikes they were registering.

I’m going to do it next year with my bike.

the only down side is you end up with a VT plate. Unless you ride like a granny, you will get hasseled for riding a dirt bike on the street with out of state tags.

Are you keeping it enduro or going super moto with it? Good luck with it, maybe it can keep up with my KTM next summer. :tong

I planed on keeping it dual sport. I may swap it to supermoto if I ever get it on the road. Going to DMV this week to see what they say.