Salvage/Rebuilt title... come on in, whats the deal?

The salvage vehicle examination is not a safety inspection, an emissions inspection, or an insurance examination. The salvage vehicle examination is a separate and additional examination conducted by DMV investigators.

per nysdmv.com

so if a car is wrecked, salvaged, rebuilt, does it ever go through a safety exam? if the vehicle has frame damage prior to being rebuilt, what do they do to insure that the frame is true/straight?

how rigorous is the examination?

they basically do a safety inspection, and they are more concerned with where you got the parts from, they want receipts for everything.

actually i had a jetta that had a salvage title from california that i had inspected all they did was tell me to pull it in the bay the dude popped the hood, looked at me then told me to pull it out he was done. i had no reciepts for anything. but yes you have to get a normal safety inspection after you do the salvage exam…

yea just a regular nys inspection after…

then again not to many people steal jetta’s-strip em and sell the parts. I have my Mustang i still need to get inspected there and i am sure ill have a more difficult time with it.

wtf makes you think that? it came stock with bbs, recaros and had the top of the line motor in it for the time. as so you know thats why my jetta had a salvaged title, it was in fact stolen and stripped for parts… but you’re right only american cars get stolen and stripped…

V-6 mustang FTW!

They just make sure nothing is stolen. I had to take my delsol there when I was applying for a VIN number. I pulled it in teh bay and they looked at it for a minute and pulled it back out and I was issued a VIN number for the car. Your talking about teh place on Dingens correct?

yeah thats where i went…

im not worried about stuff being stolen, it already passed the salvage inspection… im wondering how structurally sound a car with frame damage could be even after it was “rebuilt”

just as sound as a car that was rebuild from a non totaled vehical ?

The only thing the exam cares about is that the car was put back together exactly to factory specs…there are no missing parts as far as the rebuild goes…ie… airbag computers :mad: and that the vins match and there are no scratched off serial or vin #s.

Bump

I never though I would consider a rebuilt titled car but…here is the story.

A friend of mine wrecked his car over the summer and the car was in great condition mechanically before the accident. I saw the car the day after actually and the damage was not that bad but the parts cost was so high(M5) that he was able to get it totalled and bought it back and he then fixed it and made out like a bandit. He decided to get all new wheels/tires(one rim was bent) and a new paint job. The car is flawless I have been in it multiple times since fixed. Well he came down on orders to deploy(damn Army) and is offering to sell me the car for about 10K less then one with a non rebuilt title comparable would sell for. Its an 01 M5 with 50K miles fully loaded. I can have it for like 15K I am having a hard time passing this up as if i dont buy it the other one im looking at is 24K, has 70K miles and who knows the history.
So what do you guys that have dealt with rebuilt titles before think?

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, then do it. If you plan on selling it in a year or 2 don’t even bother with a salvage title, because people avoid them like the plague.

what he said

They are looking for stolen parts. Flat out, not a safety inspection like they say. Cars that are “rebuild” from salvage used to be nothing more than a stolen car with a swapped vin tag. So now they inspect the car to see that its indeed rebuilt, and not a rebadged solen vehicle.

be careful, some insurance companies/loan people, also dislike salvage vehicles

I am going to make an offer that is retarded and see what he says. He is leaving in a few weeks and will be gone for a long long time and he really dosent want the car to sit. Im going to offer about what the engine/tranny and wheels are worth on ebay lol.

Will, I think your asking how would someone know if the frame work and what not has been gone correctly. I guess the only way to know for sure is to take the car(before purchase haha) to a frame shop and have them spec it out. It sounds like the state inspections do not look/check for this

That is what willy was asking when he made the thread and I bumped it with my situation and thats not the case. I am simply asking if there is any reason I shouldnt buy the car. I know the owner and its history. Its a second vehicle for 10K cheaper then others im looking at. Its cleaner as well.

Exactly the issue with buying these cars… unless you know the person who did the rebuilding or have receipts of it… then it’s a crap-shoot.

And getting a car up onto a frame rack is more than most people are willing to spend on a pre-purchased inspection. Last time I talked with my brother about having a car racked; it was like $200 just to put it on the rack and mount it; not even measuring or pulling anything.