Another movie streaming device..Apple TV

just announced today and it looks very nice, rentals only but for netflix people this is nice because not only does it have netflix integration but youtube, flicker and rotten tomatoes integration. all movies are available the day they come out too so no waiting for them like netflix. movie rentals are $5 and tv show rentals are $1 plus commercial free (only ABC and FOX right now).

this is something i have been looking for, for some time now so i dont have to go to blockbuster to rent movies the day they come out and since its only $100 i will probably get it

use my popcorn hour for movie i burned/downloaded and use this for movies i want to just watch once

it does stream from computers in the house, but they probably have to be itunes compatible formats.

I would never pay for the rentals

great price!

my tivo does netflix and all of that, and my popcorn is perfect for dl movies.

And this does both…

really? ,does it stream brd formats and such? i didnt see anything on the press release of the formats it streams

it likely streams anything that iTunes will play

Current apple TV doesn’t support mkv so I have doubts this one will either. Jobs isn’t the kind of guy to support non-Apple formats.

exactly my main issue with it…i’ll wait for the reviews to pour in.

I think this is just another device for apple to use to sell media to consumers.

ding ding ding, no thanks ill stick to my awesome pch :slight_smile:

wow, engadget is reporting now that it is 720p only for “a good balance between bandwidth and quality”

nice job apple

well now i might not get it then

here we go there are the formats it supports

Video formats

* H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
* MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
* Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Audio formats supported

* HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through

Photo formats

* JPEG, GIF, TIFF

It sure does look like a really awesome device for most standard consumers… And it still has the USB port, so im really hoping that the community starts doing some awesome stuff with it!

is that the same formats as itunes?

yes i do believe so

wow no dts either, for 99 bucks u can get a pch and have something that plays just about anything.

The only thing that I really like about this is the ability to rent movies online the same day they come out as far as I know there is nothing else that will do that. everything else I would rather resort to my PCH

meh. my 360 does everything that i need it to do when it comes to streaming.

No apps, no care. Good price but all it can do is stream itunes and netflix? Thumbs Down.

That’s fine, until you get a real collection and need some sort of jukebox to organize it all. Just trying to browse through my 15 seasons of Top Gear by file name would be awful. Then toss in a hundred or so movies and several 20+ episode seasons of TV shows and you start to see why browse by file doesn’t work.

Right now I’m running a skin called Unique Black Glas for YAMJ on my PCH. This is what I get on my TV:

When you choose a TV series, it breaks it out by season:

And when you pick a season it breaks it out by episode:

Selecting an individual episode brings up the info for that specific episode (just like on a DVR) as well as a screen cap from that episode.

JayS, do you have to manually put all the cover art out there in the file structure, or does it automatically build that information for you? I am really curious to see what your filenames/folder structures look like.