another question for the fish guys

So I’m looking to buy a 120 to 150 gallon tank and stand to setup in a 4 months when I move. So I’m not in too much of a rush, just shopping around new vs. used. I found a tank on craigslist that comes with stand a hood for 200. It is reef ready and comes with the sump and pump. I don’t really think I want to do salt water though. Could I get a canister filter setup and use it in place of the sump or inline with the sump? I’m considering buying this either way, cause the stand is very nice and at that price it’s worth it.

paging larude

ya i figured either him or smokin should have some useful input here. Been searching online and not having much luck.

its going to be very hard to find those tanks forsale used, at a reasonable price. As far as it being “reef ready” I dont know anything about salt water set ups but as far as my 125 and filtration goes, I am running two emperor 4000 bio wheel filters (take 2 cartridges each) and a Power jet. This keep the water clear and I always siphon the gravel every Sunday.

The question is, what kind of fish do you WANT to have? There are alot of fish that a 125 would be way too much over kill and they could settle in a 75.

so, what kind of fish do you want? exotic fresh water? Amazon based? Chiclid’s? etc.

what are the dimensions of the tank your looking at for $200?

Definitely feed them. I had a fish tank on my iPhone and they all died because I forgot to feed them/Bobby put sidepipes on his Jetta.

I honestly don’t have the fish picked out specifically yet. I have 2 bala sharks that are about 4 or 5 inches and one smaller one. Everything I’ve read about them says they should be in a longer tank about 6 foot once mature. I e-mailed the person asking for measurements on the tank and stand and haven’t heard back yet. With the number of fish I have in the tank now I vaccum siphon it every other week and the tank says fairly clean inbetween changes. Current tank is a 60 gallon. I want a 125 so that I can put the current tropical fish I have into that and have room to add to the tropical community collection and use my 60 for African cichlids or something else.

Also I have 0 interest in doing salt water, seems way too expensive and complicated for me at this point in time.

I agree. I know alot more about aquarium and fish then the average aquarium enthusiast and I wont do salt water.

125 or bigger fish tanks are alot of work and take alot of energy to keep them going. Pretty much half my electric bill, is just from my fish tank.

when you get into 6’+ tanks, it opens the doors to what fish you can get. If you get a tank that big, make sure you get a decent sized pleco, or a few small ones and a cat fish or a few. These guys will help keep the tank clean.

ciclids are a pain in the ass because you cant mix them with any other fish without having fights or death. They rip out all your plants, push your gravel around etc. If you want to do a ciclid tank, you need to only do them with no one else besides a pleco or something.

I have a decent sized Pleco in my 60 now and would probably get a pair for a 125 if I get one. I know cichlids can’t be mixed with any other kind of fish due to their aggressive nature, but I really like the coloration on some of them. Either way seting up the tank wouldn’t happen for a few months so I would have plenty of time to plan out what fish would inhabit it. Either way if the stand is the dimensions I want it would be a good deal for a hardwood stand and I could sell the tank seperately to recover some of the money.

click forums up top and enjoy!