Another "Went out for a bag of milk..." thread...

… ended up getting a 2012 Chevy Volt today. I never thought I would but I love this thing. The technology is amazing. The OnStar remote link app I have in my phone now, voice commands and touch screen everything. For those who know me well, no, I did not get leather (can’t stand it) but other than that I got all the tech options. I can’t list everything here but I can say you should check one out because the leases are cheap.

If you drive that car in the rain you’ll get electrocuted.

Hmmm. I have seen those lease prices. And they do have free chargers in the parking structures.

More pics would sell me on this, nm I’d rather piss off people and ruin the environment!

I want to :tup:

But I also want to mercilessly tease you next time I see you.

Are you going to forget how to fill it with gasoline like the one gash in the commercial?

Congrats! My boss just got one too.

How does the lease deal work when a car that is good on fuel makes sense when you drive a lot, but then a lease then does not, where is the “middle ground” on this deal?

X…

I would say it is not great when you drive “a lot”, since it gets less than 35 mpg on pure gas. It is the most effient when you drive less than 40 miles a day.
40*365 = 14,600 miles or a 15k mile lease

You guys are missing the point. This is a $30-40k car, not an economy car. You don’t buy it to save money, even on gas. Electric cars won’t be economy cars until gas is a lot more expensive. Probably in the neighborhood of $6/gallon.

You pay a premium for it if you want the geeked out tech features it offers, including never having to stop at a gas station. You just plug it in when you get home every night. It’s a new market segment. Think: techno-luxury.

This

The car makes the most sense for commuting within electric range.

Like Fry said, at 30-40k, there really isn’t any savings to be had anywhere. You’ll save what, a few grand a year at most? So over the course of the lease you’ll save MAYBE 6k on gas? (best case scenario). All the while you paid more than 6k for the premium of owning an electric vehicle. If you want to save money, you’d just buy a cheaper car.

How well does it do in the cold weather? I am assuming that it uses way more gas to have the heat running?

Bingo. I do about 25 miles round trip so it is right in the sweet spot.

You have a point for the purchasers but if you lease it… no brainer. I will pay less to drive this car (including fuel cost) per month than I do to watch TV and have a smartphone. Granted my payment is wayyyy lower than most will see but a 350 per month lease or less is what most people already pay.

I have been told by the other employees who drive them it will use more power and typically get a range of 30 miles on a charge instead of 40. I do not know how the heater works but I know it is some kind of electric set up.

More pics of cool shit!

This is the dash and guage cluster. There are more screens but the only part that changes is the square under the speedometer. You can see I drove 25.2 miles last night but can still go another 20 on the charge.

Radio and HVAC controls.

This is the “home” screen.

Displays how efficient you drive and how the HVAC settings affect the power usage.

When you accelerate, hit the brakes or plug in the charger this tells you where the power is going… into the battery or out. Seems useless but maybe the tech guys will appreciate it.

There is more but it would take me all day to post all the screens.

http://www.plugincars.com/chevy-volt-msrp-41000-will-lease-same-price-nissan-leaf-49777.html

So basically Chevy is taking a gamble on the residuals to keep the lease payments down. I suppose they’ll move a small enough number that it’s not a huge risk.

I’ve seen a few in a traffic lately and they’re sharp looking cars. Someone like me who lives/works in Amherst could probably use one on battery nearly 100% of the time, except I’m not willing to give up my GTO for one, and the wife’s vehicle gets towing duty.

I don’t doubt that you will. I do have a 4mpg beast in the garage too don’t forget.

You are assuming GM is risk sharing. Looks like Ally is writing the leases, but I am not sure how that deal is structured. And I will not go digging to avoid getting myself in trouble.

Pulled off a local dealers site:

Low-Mileage (12k a year) Lease for Qualified Lessees $249/month 24 month lease. $2,479 due at signing (after all offers).
So ~$350 a month

Not sure what employee discounts are on these, but a 15k lease for $300 would be tempting replacement for the DD.

Edit: Unrelated; we just got a Spark into the office and the test runs on mpg are not exciting

Damn at that price I should get one for my wife. Her 9mpg truck costs about $50 a week in gas for her ~20 mile commute a day.

We have a dozen or so in stock… come get one!

Do you get the tax credit on a lease deal, or does the finance company?

Pretty sure I saw you the other day had to do a double take when I saw someone below the age of 50 driving a Volt.

< Good question… I believe I do because there was nothing in the paperwork about it, just Cap Cost Reduction. I will ask the accountants and find out.

I just got it Thursday so it may not have been me.