Any electricians here?

I’m trying to run power to my garage underground (the poles are more expensive and are a bigger PITA). I need to run 400 feet from the pole at the road to the garages circuit box.

National Grid came out and weren’t exactly clearly about what I’ve got to do besides the fact that it has to be in conduit or sand and it’s got to be 3 or 4 ft below ground.

She also said that 400ft is too far for a regular voltage house cable to go from the transformer on the pole because there would be a voltage drop, so I’d need to set up a transformer on the ground closer to the garage by 100 to 200ft and I’d have to pay them $10 a ft leading up to the transformer inland.

Obviously feed add up quick, and the fact that she wasn’t sure how far inland the transformer box has to be didn’t reassure me of anything.

Anybody know a safe distance that a home wire can carry current without a significant drop from the transformer?

we diggin a trench yet? lol

Working on it :ninja

My neighbors and electrician and also I know the guy who owns
Rotondaro Electric Inc, Rotondaro Electric*
11 Peachtree Ln
(518) 464-2888

id tell you i was an electrician but then people on here would just start raggin on me how i do shit work so ill just tell you that yes 400 ft is pushing the limits on voltage drop but it “can” be done…it depends on what you plan on running in your garage, if you plan on running alot of stuff (welder,lift, air compressor) then you should def get a transformer closer to your garage like she said. the farthest ive had a run of ser cable is around 500 feet but that was for an apt that doesn’t have a huge load. if you are planning on going conduit underground direct from a pole transformer i’d say depending on your amperage you can compensate in wire size for the voltage drop

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

I have a ditch witch but I have to assemble the motor for it yet. Not that it helps you with the electrical part but it’ll sure make digging the trench fucking easy.

hit me up, i never even seen the property yet you hermit

Thanks Adam but it will back ho’ed or tractored. I’ve done digging through soft soil and it’s not that much fun, 4 ft in rocky/rooted ground, I’ll pass, plus I’ve got other things to do with a backhoe when I rent it.

Thank you for the good post, +rep.

It will most likely see welding/other high power demand applications so I’d rather be safe then sorry. From my understanding, regular underground cable (already in conduit) is around ~3$ a foot, and I will be putting it all in PVC pipe, so I’m not even sure if the cable I need has to have a rubber conduit to begin with.

Pay your phone bill and I’ll be able to get a hold of you :tongue

Lolz you do know what a ditch witch is right?? :lol

The major business end looks like this:

http://www.californiatreeequipment.com/photos/heavy_equipment/ditchwitch4500.jpg

And the other end looks like this:

http://www.publiquip.com/photo/Ditch-Witch-5110DD-1993.jpg

I just have to put the damn cylinders/pistons on it and then install the new idlers/cutting chain and teeth. Would have been done months ago if people would stop blowing their shit up :ninja Makes a mean fucking trench real quick. Roots, rocks, little kids don’t stand a chance… :lol

I’m actually going to sell it once it’s running FYI

I thought you were referring to

:lol

If it gets done in a good time frame for me, let me know what your rates would be and we could likely work something out. Would fit on your trailer right? I’d have no way of getting over. Shouldn’t be all that crazy far from your garage.

Oh man you know me…Go big or go home option is the only route up here :lol

We have a backho/excavator too but that’s going to a job site for the next 2-3 months at the end of the week. Using it to scrape the ground clean for the new building then shipping it to Kirts house for work.

If I could get a solid 4-5 days I could have the DW running but as you know, there’s always shit in my shop requiring my time first…

When do you need this trench dug by?

HOLY SHIT!! that thing looks like a cartoon!
:rofl:rofl

No deadline, just getting the finances in order as the backhoe/tractor would have been ~400$ for a day. I’d need to dig the well trench (50 ft), power (400ft), grey water well (quickie) all in the 8 hour operating time… doable if rented. And yes I’m well aware of your “estimated waiting time” as I have certain PM’s from last year or even two years ago :lol The only reason I would have needed a tractor with a shovel over just a backhoe is to make a quick pass on the driveway to level it before crushed stone.

I have alot of of those ditch witch machines at work at verizon, none with a back hoe on them tho lol.

Yeah, you need a ditch witch like mine. You don’t want to be digging a 400ft trench even with a backhoe. The well trench needs to be below the fronstline, typically 4-5 ft is good enough up here.

I’ll have it running fairly soon as we have to move it out of the one garage immediately. Everything for it is here to get it back together.

Cool, just let me know then.

I figured a backhoe wouldn’t be too bad for the application, but it seems that this will work more efficiently.

Verizon needs to run DSL up there, you let them know!

that driveway is gunna be a biotchhhh:lol

oh shit youre right, i’ll pay it this week just to get in touch with you !

i dont see how u can buy cable like that without any sheathing on it, it will be insulated and wrapped in sheathing regardless, then underground as you know would be in pvc

i assumed you discussed this with gary ? he’d be the guy to talk to, shift isnt a great place for this kinda shit LOL