Electric Pole vs Pad mount transformer from road to building site.

So I bought an 18 acre property out here in Newfane. The way the land is, I would have to build at least 300’ off the road but I’m looking at a location that’s more or less 600-700’ away. Before I start talking with Nat grid etc., wondering if anyone has experience with prices of pole vs inground. Speaking to the building inspector, he said the transformer alone will cost me 15k, but perusing online people seem to say 5k-7k. I would prefer to keep it underground instead of having poles ruin the scenery as well as possibly get knocked down by a storm. I will have to trench for the water anyway, and I will do the trenching myself so that should cut down on the cost somewhat. That is one long term project that I will be documenting starting with site prep this spring. 600ft driveway needs to be cleared, the whole property is wooded :smiley:

The family is outgrowing our house fast.

I’m not sure about that cost, but I know Blueeyeddevil’s house is FAR from the road, and it seems like everything is more difficult because of it. Driveway cost? keeping it plowed? Running cable back that far, power like you mentioned, etc.

Why build it 600’ back and not the 300’?

X…

I’d go underground like you said, especially if you’re already digging a trench. Congrats on the purchase.

The way it sits, if I build at 300’ the neighbors will be too close for comfort. I am only doing this once in my life so I’d rather build my “dream home” that is set far back from the road. This is the home I plan to retire in.
@1QIKZ that’s the direction I’m almost completely set on I just wondered whether anybody has experience with costs in residential situations. I have experience at the mobile home park I work at, we are slowly converting to underground, and a new road we are developing has 4 padmount transformers that were put in this past summer by a contractor Nat Grid hired. Being a mobile home park, it’s totally different and a whole bunch of nonsense that only applies to it like having to have upwards of 45k in escrow for 10 years prior, and this was the final year of that.

Thanks, the kids are going to love it this spring! The boys have already claimed tree fort territory :smiley: My wife us excited too, back in Ukraine having land that’s even half acre is considered amazing, let alone 18.

You’re using wire withor without poles so might as well keep it out of sight and protected from windstorm damage. I’m jealous if your seclusion. I’m in a quiet road but only 135 back. You got the right idea. Make it happen my fellow countryman.
[ATTACH]37351[/ATTACH]

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37351&d=1514143616

Thanks man! :tup: