Pole barns

I’m hoping that by spring time I’ll be ready to pull the trigger on a pole barn. I’d be looking for something around 25’-30’x35’-40’ with 12’ walls. I’m undecided on 4" or 6" floors, but will definitely need a portion to be 6" wherever my lift ends up.

I was pretty dead set on building this myself to save some money and gain the experience, but after some brief searching, it seems like guys are getting the entire bare bones structure erected for only a couple grand (which in all likelihood would save me about 6 months of stress building it myself). Does anyone have experience with the different kits that are available online? Some of them seem crazy cheap - shipped to my yard prices seem on par with what it would cost to buy the material from 84 lumber. And are supposedly engineered for area snow loads.

Not that it plays a very significant role in price; but I already have windows and a 10x10 garage door to use, so that may swing me away from a prefab’d kit.

Not sure of your abilities. While I was capable, I had neither the manpower or equipment to erect mine. I did what I could on my own and hired out the rest to whomever I saw fit. Took about 5 months. Wasn’t cheap but I suppose it could’ve been worse.

Also not sure what your municipality required in regard to approved drawings or sketches but if you haven’t stopped down there you should to see what their requirements might be.

On a side note, I may have some building materials that might work on yours that I didn’t use in mine.

This would be the largest building project I’ve ever taken on, but there is nothing difficult or complex about it in my mind. The only issue I see as far as abilities would be getting the trusses set. I’m sure with the surrounding trees, a tractor bucket, and some ingenuity I can overcome that somehow.

I still have not discussed with the town of Alden on specifics, but I have been inside my neighbors and there is nothing crazy or unexpected in his. Spacings all look pretty standard, poles anchored to the concrete, etc.

Let me know what you got. Where did you get your trusses made?

I built a 18x24 about 6-7 years ago. I don’t think I saved much, maybe 10-15%. By the time you pay retail prices for all the components, pay/rent post hole digger, maybe rent boom truck for trusses, etc. As you said, trusses and roof are challenging. I used the loader to get them up, but I had 8’ walls - tractor wouldn’t have reached 12’. I’ve had 2 more built by professionals since. They put them up so fast and do quality work. I don’t think they are charging outrageous amounts for labor.

I thought about asking if they could build the frame/roof and let me do the siding/soffit/trim, but don’t think this would save much. My guess is that they would bump it up to make it worth while to just have them do it all.

I used Niagara Truss in Lockport. The trusses were not that expensive - surprised me.

I had the builder supply the trusses. I’m not sure where they had them made. I guess what I was asking was what types of projects have you done in the past. While pole barns seem pretty simple, and generally are, there are always details which need special attention. Confused by your statement “anchored to the concrete”.

Lifts only require 4.5" of 3500-4K psi concrete typically, relax with the 6" floor.

Thank God because I just poured 5" of 4000psi.

Guess my 18" ers was a little overkill then.

After watching them build mine, it seems like one of those things where it’s not too difficult to build, but it is to do it right.

x…

Putting poles in a hole is easy, getting them plum and true is a whole different animal. Concrete scares me a bit too because you only get one shot to get it right, it is not like you just unscrew it and start over.

• Updated - - -

Are you saying 18" thick?!? Are you landing 747s on there? Holy cow!

If me and my father, who thinks I’m the patient one of us, can do it, anyone can do it. Granted, we were only doing 10’ 4x4 posts for a fence, but it really isn’t anything to be feared. 10 years have passed and it still is as straight as the day we put it up. That tends to be the case when you put enough concrete in the holes to rival all of the ruins of Italy

I pretty much agree with Quattro but the Devil has a point too. What is done on the front end affects everything that follows and again, not sure of your experience and how much you can possibly take on without getting in too deep. I’m all for doing all you can but take caution not to regret trying something you can’t “un-fuck” if it’s wrong. You’re welcome to stop out to my she’d anytime to discuss it over beers.

Absolutely agree. There is a point where time vs. saving a few $ and doing it yourself come in to the equation. We spent an eternity setting up the 3-4-5 triangle in the corners of my property, checking and re checking the posts before pouring in the Italian magic, getting the string line all set, etc etc. Really, once you get the initial “set up” dialed in, it’s repeat until done. It is such a rewarding feeling when you go to put the 2x4’s up and they just hit every 4x4 post square.

I’ve never erected a structure, like I said, this would be the largest project I’ve taken on. That said, I’ve worked on numerous remodels and home projects in my life; my grandfather owned 30+ units at one point and during my teenage years I spent a large portion of my free time helping him. I’m comfortable with electrical and plumbing. I also have a pretty extensive tool collection that would be needed. I also like to think I’m not a complete idiot; I play an engineer in my day job and see no issues aligning poles, I even have access to optical and laser alignment tools if I wanted to go that far (but I see no reason why a string line wouldn’t be sufficient). I also think my plan would also be to have the poles anchored to the piers instead of in the concrete, which would give me a little flexibility to dial in the pole alignment after the concrete is poured.

What concerns me are the intricacies of the building codes and avoiding major re-do’s and oversights when it comes time for inspection. Also from a cost standpoint, I’m questioning whether I’m really saving anything by doing it myself.

Work VERY closely with your local building inspectors. Call them, talk to the inspector, have them do a site visit and ask them for guidance. Don’t do ANYTHING until they OK it and make sure to ask them for advice and guidance. It’s super important to get the foundation pieces correct. Like any project, any mistakes made early will only compound themselves into major issues later. And you REALLY don’t want to have to dig out footings.

Agreed. I’m not sure what they require in Alden but in Evans, the application process was fairly straightforward, with exception to the size I was requesting (ended up having to go through the variance process). They even had a basic “fill in the blanks” drawing of a typical pole barn structure for simple reference. Being that mine was a little different than most, I did supply my own drawings but I believe they only wanted the truss manufacturer’s engineering drawings, no architects’s stamp. I still had hole depth, rough framing, rough electrical, and final inspections. No need for an insulation inspection as this was not a dwelling and considered an “accessory” building. I’m not sure if you looked up my thread but I hired the builder to do some site-work, supply and erect the structure with finished metal siding, and installation of my supplied roofing shingles, door, and windows. They were very accommodating.

4" floors (4000 psi concrete mix) is just fine with the lift post areas being a little thicker. I can even get you the info on the guy who poured and finished all my concrete (just over 5000 sf in total since I started my projects). He also did my friends driveway recently and his quality has not wavered. I believe he lives not far from you. I incorporated a floor drain anticipating snow melt with a heated garage, and also allows me to wash vehicles in the winter, if I want. This was a great forethought.

Depending on your overall design and usage, pay attention to the valuable loft space as Juiced and I did. It will make a difference in the cost and style of trusses you use and you will need to make provisions for the staircase to get up there, as well as head room. I also ran a gas line and extra conduits for future possible water and cable / data lines. Try and think of everything you can in advance and make as clear a plan as you can. Understand the lift you’re installing and the height it requires. Don’t forget to leave room for standing the posts. Mine were “taller” when you stand them up than the finished height when they sit upright. I went 12" above the required height and was glad I did.

Also check into your homeowner’s insurance and the coverage it allows. Once the builder (if you hire one) leaves, his insurance coverage is done and you’re on your own in the event of a catastrophe. When it’s complete, make sure your insurance covers the proper value and not some generalized number for a pole barn.