Any Excel experts here? (re: Pivot tables )

basically, i cant figure out how to update the source range of the pivot table. I added another 535 rows of data but just refreshing the data doesnt work becuase i didnt change any of the data in the existing range.

there has got to be a way to bring up the existing range and update it.

if this is jargon to you then move along please.

basic searches for this question yeilded nothing on google and through some texts that i have…

Select inside your pivot table and open the wizard then go back and you can modify the selection process.

what he said.

ah i got it… you gotta go ‘back’ and reselect the range.

it was bugging me because i thought it was going to set up a whole new table when it asked me where i wanted to put it.

oh man, this was very helpful. we need OT or work-help sections here.

Now that i know there are peoples here who can answer this stuff i will be asking it alot…lol… i just found out about pivot tables like 2 weeks ago

yeah i had to take excel in school. kind of boring, but now that i use it everyday i found that class very helpful.

next semester i have to take advanced excel. wow that sounds sooo nerdy.

The crazy thing is that alot of people come out of University not knowing how to use even the most basic of functions or anything having to do with excel.

My cousin is like that. Has a Poly-Sci degree… cant do anything with it

Crazier still is that most of the customized software applications that i see being used by alot of companies are really just adaptations of Microsoft Access, Excel etc. toss in some Phpbb web-based forum type things, charge $1,500 per user per year, start up costs, charge for tech support blah blah blah.

i swear i could take a simple phpbb based forum and use it to replace this whole ERP system we paid like $75,000 for. It’s retarded.

If only people had a basic understanding of how to use basic software applications they would see that.

Even MORE crazy is how employees are then graded and bonuses on their activity over these applications. Basically setting minimum post counts and log-ins. HILARIOUS!

we’re all in training programs every second we browse the internet.

old people suck

Bing, Universities do not tech you how to use Excel. I’m not surprised at your cousins lack of understanding as I believe it’s done on purpose.

Second, if you find a company running off of excel, leave.

Third, Access is good for a small shop, nothing more.

Fourth, if your company will pay $1500 a seat with a 15% yearly service fee for an Excel/Access based system, tell them to call me because I have some software for them! hehehe

I have a BSc in Computer Science however I was never taught how to program in a language. I was taught programming structures and development concepts.

My first class was went like this:

Prof: Welcome to COSC1P03, if you don’t already know Java you have two weeks to learn.

Me: What’s Java?

Go to college if you want to learn how. Go to University if you want to learn why. Just my opinion.

Really?

I go to Carleton for comp sci and we have specific classes that teach us the basic languages(Java,C,C++). Then as we get higher and higher into the years, we get more and more into design concepts and etc.

But right now I am only in my third year :s

The only babysitting programming class I had was real time systems. I used Rational RoseRT and followed a tutorial from IBM.

My first year included, basic programming structures and controls (Linked-Lists, Breadth Tree traversals, etc) then in 2nd year we did more tree traversals, recursive loops, logic (prolog, lisp), object oriented (java), proceedural (ada, cobol) third year got onto specific topics.

Don’t get me wrong, I was never allowed to use a Linked-List library, I had to write it from scratch every assignment. Single, double linked, custom, etc… Ugh.

For example, I was never taught how to use a peice of software that could draw a straight line, but I was taught how to design an algorithm that would draw a line from pixels (I used C with OpenGL libraries on an SGI O2). I also had to program Hull algorithms that are used in colission detection (C++ Linux, OpenGL).

On the same note: No one taught MS API’s or VB .NET, but we had to use them to get our projects/assignments done. All that shit was peripheral.

I don’t know if you’re experiencing someting similar, but it could be a matter of perspective.

I’m not tooting my own horn saying I’m a better programmer then spoon fed college students, however it’s the opposite. For a routine program, i’ll take 10x longer to complete the project as opposed to a college grad. Compared to them, I suck at programming. Sure, i have more exception checking, or tighter loop control but in reality, it doesn’t mean shit. They’re product is meets the same requirements that mine did but took 10x less effort.

Maybe the above is useful or I just needed to reminese about the good old days, good luck in your course.

I’m not on the accounting side, i’m in operations and am building the performance reporting model and databases. Yup i’m using excel and soon to be access because these are the programs that Audatex (ADP) and Mitchell use. Audatex just IPO’s for several hundred millions of dollars btw.

No one in North America has done anything like this so there is no software solution for it.

The software i was making light of is an ERP system where basically the people at corporate can record, log, plan, contact and upload information, files etc. as they pertain to specific franchises, insurance partners etc.

It really does cost that much and the company we bought it from sells this kind of software to thousands of companies all over North America. It’s calles Salesforce. Look it up. I was loking through the thing and all you really do is create accounts, give them ranks (vendor, customer etc.) put in all the contact information then create fields (or threads?) where you can log and record interactions.

It’s incredibly simple and i think i may have actually understated the costs involved.

More over, some of the companies we deal with have a very basic software model that nets hundreds of millions in revenue each year.

It has nothing to do with sophisication, it has to do with economies of scale. Once alot of people are using your software it only makes sense for more people to use it. So they do.

I swear if i were a software developer… i dont even know what i’d do. I can’t believe their are people in software development that cant make 6 figures a year when i see how much companies are charging for their software applications that are literally very basic, but flexible, templates that they are just putting new backgrounds into and charging huge licensing fees for.

Basically, if VB or phpBB we not so easy to get and if you were selling it to a large international coporation for their employees to discuss specific issues while abroad, assign permissions, have an executive section (like our admin section) etc. etc. If you did this you could easily sell the exact software we are on right now for hundreds of thousands of dollars up front with all kinds of constant cash-flow additives in the package as well.

It’s baffling.

Also, University doesnt teach you shit. I’ve worked with MBA’s who are still fools, kids with degrees that cant decent work… in fact, im my CMA program there is a woman with a MBA, doing her CMA, and therefore must have a degree in something, she is also fluent in English, Cantonese, Hindu and Punjab and cannot find work anywhere for 8 months now after literally 50 interviews. She basically says she will work for anything… like fucking $40k… still nothing… WTF?

the world makes no sense, ever.

1. Most people use excel as the last spot for performance modeling. Usually people develope cubes for Cognos or Crystal Reports to handle most of the heavy work. I for one use Crystal but haven’t dabbled in Cognos, yet.

2. Very cool, maybe I should write a ERP packaged based on MS .NET with SOA.

3. Yeah, for some businesses that’s all an ERP needs to do.

I’m in the process of selecting a new ERP system for my division, we’ve just finished round 1 of the selection process and let me tell you, it’s a mixed bag.

I had guys come and present technology that was developed in 1992 expecting us to be wow’d by the VB 6.0 interface! Literally!

Since we have to select software for discreet manufacturing, it really narrows down the players. Distribution or volume manufacturing companies have it easy, usually.

IMO, we’re looking at spending $250,000-$500,000 for our new software package. (It’s cheap)

yeah, i cant believe anyone would present stuff that is 15 years old to some tech-savvy dudes.

There is no one like that at our company so we ended up with sometihng sub par.

If you want to get into some software development for this model we can talk about it after i have the nuts and bolts in line.

right now just the databasing and pivot tabling is blowing people away. I’m providing reports in 10 minutes that used to take days to produce if at all.

That’s not even it… younger people figure older people are ignorant, and older guys who didn’t know about it before assume they’re the only ones who know about it and that they can use this information to make money off other people who supposedly dont know.

There are a million people who think they know something no one else does. When in actuality they’re quite up to date…

?!?

thank you for adding nothing to this conversation. You pretty much killed all hopes of having a serious, informed discussion with your semantics

knowing means nothing.

In reference to you making saying how you can’t believe people would show up with 15 year old technology.

They show up with it because they think everyone else in the business world is ignorant to new technology.

Do you want me to draw you a picture?

You’re the only person who can outright ruin a thread by telling someone else they’ve ruined the thread…

Bing, you couldn’t excel in life even if your name was Microsoft.

OH NOES!!

Roast,

what are you looking for in an ERP?

what kind of capabilities does it need to have that make it worth the money?

will you be modding the software at all?