any excel/spreadsheet nerds here?

it has been a while since i had to do any formulas in excel. i knew it was going to be info i needed to retain when i was learning it, but no practice means the brain loses it.

so who here uses it on a regular basis? i need a favor if you have time, and i garuntee it will be easy.

here’s what i am looking at:

we have a customer that orders from us consistatnly. they give us a cut list, where we order the steel (or take from stock if that applies) to meet the required lengths, cut it at a shop rate, and then send them the bill. this is great because we have worked out a good % to mark the material up, and a fair shop rate that we can usually rely on to be accurate, they pay it and we make profit and everyone is happy.

now we are getting a few orders a week, and it is becoming a bother to refigure the costs and pricing for each order over and over.

i would like to make a template. how complicated it gets is up to whoever is good at this, but basically i would like to enter in a few values to ultimately get a total.

to be clearer, here is the info i am given.

material dimensions: i.e. 1/2 x 6
cut length: i.e. 45"
quantity: 4

ok, so what we do to figure our price is take each material, figure the weight for each piece, multiply it by a random estimate for a price/pound (ie what we expect to be charged when ordering it, every piece is different and the prices always change) and then multiply that by how many pieces total. we then mark that up 20% and arrive at a net value to charge this customer.

ideally i would like a system where i enter a material pound/foot, then the length, and have that number figured for me (cell a is lb/ft, cell b is length, cell c is total weight) take cell c times the total pieces (cell d) to arrive at toal weight, which i would need to have multiplied again by the “cost factor” or what we estimate the mill is going to charge us on average. this gives me an estimated cost which i would then need marked up 20% and a value represented in a new cell would be what we will charge our customer. so now i have a spreadsheet where i can tweak the values of the multiplying factor and the markup we charge to get a agreeable value, without busting out the calculater so many times.

am i making sense? i will be back on later tonight to see who is willing to tackle this, and answer any questions if i was unclear. i kind of rushed this post so sorry if it came out confusing

joe

Moved to Huger Nerd Forum

^^LOL

i’d love to help…but it’s been sooooo long since ive don excel too…

I’ll give it a shot once I get home if I get really bored.

Did something quick while I am bored at work. pm’d.

done

:shudders: I hate excel lol

I love excel. I am getting soo good at it now I can almost get excel to toast my bagels in the morning.

Joe, if you need help, I can do it for you.

wow… If i had saw this earlier… I just finished writing an uber complex excel workbook complete with 500k of vba code that parses filters formats and outputs data daily at the click of a button. I just saved my boss about 1hr/day, and made the company around 500k/yr. in revenue because of what it is capable of tracking… Can you say promotion time :slight_smile:

If anyone else ever needs excel help, or just wants me to do their project for them as effiecntly as automated as possible, just pm me. I have been writing in vba since i was 16 (23 now), and used to be a quite active contributer on mrexcel.com.

Joe, send me the sheets that other people have made for you, or what you think works properly, and i will see if i can make it even more seamless and streamlined for you (hell, i will even make it look pretty)