Any FWD SR20DET or SR20VE Owners in Edmonton?

I am thinking about doing an engine swap in my G20 in the next 6 months and am looking to go turbo or neo-vvl. The only thing is I wanted to talk to another turbo’d FWD owner to hear their expirience with it.

Also, what did you do for motor mounts? There arent solid motor mounts like there are for the RWD sr20’s so the only thing I could think of is refilling them with urethane. Any ideas?

Yeah, the urethane will work, but I could have sworn that I’d seen Energy Suspension mounts for those particular motors - just look for the SR20DE, which came in the pulsar and sentra in the 90’s, I would think that the mounts would be exactly the same or could be made as such.

If your ultimate goal is really high horsepower, could I suggest the QR25DE? I know it sounds like an odd combo, but turbo versions of these motors approach 275WHP with stock internals at 7psi, and you’d probably be able to fit the 6 speed manual with an integrated viscous LSD into the package with little trouble. You can get it from any Altima or Sentra 02+, and I think Hondatoy has a 2.5SE Altima they are wrecking right now.

Energy suspension motor inserts would be the easiest route to take with that. It’s seems to be the best balance between wheep hop cure and vibration.

You don’t want to use solid motor mounts if you plan on driving it daily.

I made myself a set using 2 part 75 Durometer urethane (reccommended by the SE-R Mailing list) and every vibration was transmitted directly into the cabin at 4k and rattled everything that wasn’t bolted down.

I currently run Energy mount inserts with the stock motor mounts, about $36 CAN for the front rear and $40 for the sides (a few years ago) but they can’t be much more now.

Speed Works in the city also has an 02 Sentra that they have just to sell the engine out of, and there is limitless possibilities that you can do with the QR25DE, some guys are pushing over 400hp with this engine after they do some bottom end work on it. It all just depends what your budget is like.

I have a front wheel drive sr20det in my car and it’s a pretty staightforward swap. Honestly, for the price of swapping in a QR25de and turboing it, you can easlily have 300+ whp sr20det. Plus this engine is capable of handling tonnes of power without any bottom end work. If you want more info on this check out this site.

http://www.sr20forum.com/
Also there is a step by step process in an earlier sport compact magazine, I believe I have it in my garage. Let me know and if you want a look at it and I’ll photocopy it into a pdf file and send it to you.

Dan

Careful with the rest of the SR car motor mounts.
The P10 Engine mounts are different, They were bigger and softer is what the general concensus on the internet is. I’ve done what Andy has done and filled it with Urethane stuff.(Not the exaxt same stuff as Andy, it was a Devcon product)

www.g20.net - I think your on there already, but just incase.

I talked to speedworks about getting a u13 sr20det put in to my car, rather than getting a new car and they said it would be like 7g. Has anyone had any experience doing an sr20de+t? JGY customs has a kit that is pretty affordable, the only problem will be to find someone who can isntall it for a decent price.

Contact AutoDream in Calgary their prices are usually better than any Edmonton based shops.

Contact AutoDream in Calgary their prices are usually better than any Edmonton based shops.[/quote]

Yea
Speedworks told me twice as much for an SR swap as autodream did. But that was last year ish.

I’ve done it myself, it’s pretty straight forward. If you get the engine you can buy, through hotshot or jgy, a intercooler kit and downpipe. You’ll still need to get a walbro fuel pump and some type of engine management.

If you have a garage, try to do it yourself and save the money you’ll spend on the swap for more parts, like brakes, exhaust and the clutch. Your stock clutch is good for about 250 hp but it would be a good idea to change that while the engine and trans are out.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me and I’ll try to answer if I can.

Dan

ps I also have a 2 1/2" jgy downpipe with a 02 bung already in it for tuning for sale for $50.00 if you are looking for one of those.

Get the SR20DET, you wont be dissapointed.

Thanx guys, im gonna talk to AutoDream. Tax return is coming in so if I can get the swap done for less than 4.5k, ill b boostin very soon.

If I were to get the oem ecu, I should be able to get it up and running in completely stock guise correct? THen I could get a piggy back fuel controller if I wanted to do some additional tunning?

I believe so, I dunno if it is anything like doing a VQ Swap on a Spec V, but when you do the VQ swap you MUST have an ecu from and Altima or a Maxima that is the same production year as your car i.e 04 Sentra => 04 Maxima ecu with engine and NADS if your Spec has/had NADS.

Dan, I may be moving to calgary for up to 7 months for work. I dont want to be too forward, but how long would it take for me to swap my engine with your help going at a casual pace? I like to think I am somewhat mechanically inclined and would love to help, especially so I have some clue as to how to fix it if it breaks.

Assuming you have all the parts you need, you can easily have it done in a weekend. I’m sure I can lend a hand with it as well.

Dan