any residential heating and a/c guys on here

i got a question about my furnace that keeps freezing up and shuting of.

bravada442

cool thanks

Sean’s (Bravada442) in FL for the week.

Cam99 on steelcity.

^^he would be more local also

he’s also here

PM is answered. John’s right, I’m on my way to FL, im in Baltimore right now and luckily the place were at has wireless so im able to connect and read the site for a little bit.

oneslowtie might be able to help also

oneslowbowtie works for trane.

i have a friend who works for L. S. Hafer (dunno how its spelled), his dad owns it he’s been doing it a long time himself, but he doesnt have his phone on during the day…i can call him if you still need help after 6

is the pilot just going out? only reason i asked this is cause i had this happen, the pilot wouldnt stay lit. all it needed was a thermalcupple (one word i def cant spell). its like a couple bux at home depot. fixed her right up! :slight_smile:

their are quite interesting in their simplicity, only two different metal wires that produce a small voltage as the temperature at the two seperate ends varies. Sorry for the lesson, im bored as hell!

heres the problem im dealing with(if this makes any sense). there 2 pipes that go from the furnace to the outside of the house they both turn 90 degrees to the grond one is longer than the other. the longer one is the exhaust so when the furnace is on it blows out the hot air the shorter pipe next to it is on a little of a suction which sucks up some of the hot air as it blows out of the longer pipe. so everytime the tempature drops below freezing the sorter pipe with the suction clogs with ice/snow and then the furnace shuts off. you have to go out suide and stick a coat hanger in the short pipe to clean out the ice/snow then you can reset the furnace and it will start. i was thinking of putting a piece of plexaglass between the 2 pipes to seperate them just in case the condesation from the hot pipe is getting into the other pipe and causeing it to freeze. or should the pipe that blows exahust out be the shorter pipe and the longer pipe be the suction pipe? both the pipes exit the house about 3’ off the ground so the shorter pipe isnt sucking snow off the ground.thanks for the help everyone.

I told you that makin whiskey in the basement was gonna cause problems!

Sent you a pm

the plexiglass idea seems good. :dunno:

i just talked to the guys here at work eric and they are saying that those pipes are supposed to be like 3 feet apart they also said that you could put like 90 degree elbows on the end make one go left and one go right then down

The pipes don’t need to be 3 feet apart, however they do need to be 3 feet or so off the ground ( well above snow level). The exhaust should be a good 12-18" longer than the intake pipe. If the condensation is freezing the intake pipe and not snow or ice dripping from above it you can put a 45 degree PVC fitting on each of them aimed in opposite directions to keep the contact down. You could put plexiglass between them , but shouldn’t have to.

thanks for the replies everyone

its set up just like you said it should be. i put the plexiglass between it, and so far so good, other than it looks stupid. im gonna give the 45 degree fittings a shot. thanks for your help.

No problem.