Anybody here have a lot of outboard/2-stroke engine experience?

The reason I ask is because I have none. I just had our boat pulled out of the water at a marina on the South end of Canandaigua Lake. I wanted him to do some winterizing, and a general health check. The engine in question is a mid-90’s Force 150hp, 5 cylinder 2-stroke. According to him, two of the pistons are burnt and need replacing. While I’d like take a shot at repairing it, I’m quite sure that 2-strokes are powered by magic fairies, and I don’t want to anger them.

So, anyone with experience here that can:

1. repair this engine
  2. source parts at a reasonable cost
    or
  3. sell me an engine?

Dude, you def have the skill. You’re overthinking it.

I don’t want to let out the factory smoke.

And with the workload, it’s going to be tough for me to deal with this anytime soon.

I was replacing pistons on dirtbikes before i knew what a camshaft even was.

dump the force in the trash and buy a real motor

I am not surprised to hear that it’s burnt. I used to have a force on my boat till it burned out. They’re notorious for being worthless. We Replaced ours with an Evinrude and never looked back.

Also, newman is right. It’s easy as sin to do. The whole motor pops off the outdrive pretty easily(handful of bolts and shift linkage). You can probably break that motor down in a few hours.

Agreed about the Force brand.
If I had a decent amount of disposable income, then a replacement engine for sure. However, right now, I’m going to have to repair. I’ll do a bit of research and see what it will take.

Yeah, I hear ya there. What size motor is it?

I find it funny that the guy who owns a shop that specializes in overly complicated exotic cars is scared to take on a rebuild of one of the simplest engines ever made.

I know you’re busy, but it’s a boat motor in WNY in November. Not like there is any reason this needs to get done any time soon. :slight_smile:

Jason 2 strokes are easy, you can doo ittt

Sigh…

Now I’ve got to get it here. I wonder if it will fit in the Wagon.

I wouldn’t pull the entire motor off the boat, just pull the engine out of the top.

Usually the fairings come off, and you can unhook the shift linkage, and unbolt the actual engine from the outdrive. Then it’s a piece of cake to transport.

I had a Force 150 and had no problems with it for years. was simple to maintain, I always ran it rich.

2 Strokes are rather simple. The hardest part is finding someone who is decent to rebuild the crankshaft and index it correctly. If the crankshaft is fine a simple hone & new piston/rings is in order. I have built a few 2 strokes in my day and can help if you have questions.

put an LS1 in it

/thread

2 strokes are fun.

There is not much to know… If you have compression and the crank is in index, youre golden. So long as the pistons are not deformed, just re ring and hone if you have low comp.

there are reman long blocks (just block/head etc) so you can replace your burned up one… might be cheaper and easier than rebuilding the old