Parts/Repair for Kawasaki Ninja

Hey guys, didn’t know if someone could help me out, but my buddy at work has a 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250 and over the weekend, he was riding and all of the sudden his oil light came on and then the engine died. He had it towed and the guy said that the camshaft is messed up and he spun a bearing or something like that (sorry I don’t really know bikes). My buddy said he wasn’t leaking oil and he wasn’t burning any (no blue smoke). The guy told him it would cost 1000 for a new engine and install. He is hoping to fix it himself cheaper and is wondering if he can either find a salvage engine or parts locally so that he can do it. Anybody know of anywhere to get the parts? He checked ebay and didn’t find anything good.

Also if anyone has any insight as to what happened that would be helpful too. He is new to bikes and I have no idea either.

Check RonAyers.com I’m not sure if they sell crate motors though.

there is a place in harmony, I think it’s called cycle recyclers. Also, there is a place in homestead called bob’s cycle service I think, and a junkyard out near latrobe somewhere.

personally, I would just keep checking ebay and look to score one for no more than $500. Ninja 250’s are all pretty much the same from like 1988 thru to present.

Yes there is. Only reason I suggested Ronayers is, if the guy he got a quote from was quoting $1000 for Engine and install he may be able to get a new motor for about $600 or so instead of getting a used or junked one and just install it himself.

good point! I was just thinking the cheapest local solution. Oh well, he has options now at least.

cycle recyclers is in rochester pa close to cranberry…I was able to find decent parts there, they aren’t the cheapest, but it’s local and you get what you want plus they take returns for a re-stocking fee…I won’t go to the dude in Homstead…they try and rip people unlike cycle recyclers