Anybody here work for ford?

I know this isn’t the place for technical or hybrid related questions but here goes. lol

2009 ford escape hybrid
86xxx miles

I bought my wife this car back in october, with 81xxx on it and it’s been great so far.

Early last week her check engine light came on and she called me in a pannic, the car was driving normal so i told her to continue home since she was only a minute or two away. When she got in, i got my scanner and plugged it in, and it didn’t read any codes. Her light was on, but according to my scanner it wasn’t and there were no pending codes or trouble codes. Car seemed normal to me, so i reset the code.

This morning the light came back on, after about 500miles of driving this past week (we went away for the weekend), he daily commute is probably about 6-8 miles.

So i have a check engine light, and my scanner is not reading any codes. Any thoughts?

I called the dealer (Metro Ford) and he told me they have a “special reader” for hybrids, and it’s $125 to diagnose. From what i’ve found online all you need is a CAN enabled reader which i am using. I’m gonna go to advance auto tonight and try their code reader and see if i get anything. Anybody have any input on this? If it’s actually a special tool i don’t mind paying the 125, but i feel like that’s a load of shit and don’t want to spend the moeny so they can do the same thing i am doing. From what i’ve read online it’s common for ford to have a CEL and no code when the gas cap is lose or off, her car has no gas cap (it’s got a self sealing kind of thing instead), maybe it needs a new gasket?

any input is appreciated.

we might have the right scanner for the hybrid we used to be a ford dealer let me ask

i’ll see you at 5

Most generic scanners aren’t set up for them , our scanner can read em

Yeah the OBD protocols are different on those cars. It’s not like the standard Keyword2000, VPW, PWM, etc that are used on most vehicles. Most scanners can be updated to the new protocols online but often just easier to go to a shop that has one up and ready.

Like others posted above you need a higher function scantool then a basic actron or alike code reader. If Ford sets their systems up like GM there is a module or network of modules to run the hybrid system and when there is a fault code in one of those modules they send a message to the PCM to turn on the MIL. You need something equivalent to a solus.

P0130, Semir hooked me up