Anyone been to Stowe?

I’m going to plan a strip to Stowe Vermont with a few of my friends and was looking to get some feedback from people who may have gone there already. Mostly I’m wondering where to stay. I was thinking about getting a condo for probably 3-4 nights, but hotels work too. I’ve been to a bunch of other places in VT but not Stowe.

Any feedback on where you stayed, if you liked it and where you would stay again?

I went to sugarbush and stowe. i went early january, and got the shaft. they didn’t really have a lot of snow at sugarbush

but then i went to stowe (~30 min away) and they had waayyy more coverage.

i enjoyed stowe, good park, good runs, lots of rails. pipe wasn’t up when I was there.

i stayed at a cabin though, my cousin rents the same one every year so I just got down on that.

that seems to be the way to go, you can pack a lot more people in there (the cabin i was in, there were only 8 of us but there were sleeping arrangements for like 30 people) and i’m sure is much cheaper than a hotel.

I have been there a couple of times but it was at least ten years ago.
I do remember that they had a looooong mogul run that was awesome.
I was there in April and it was 60 degrees but this time of year it can get very, very cold up there.
I think there was a club called the NightSpot that was pretty cool.
That is all I remember.
Have fun!

Take a look at this site.

http://www.stowe.com/

I need to round up my lazy friends and do something like this. :tup: Have fun and post pics when you get back!

stowe is awesome, and they do have a trail that seriously take 15-20 minutes to go down. I stayed with about 5 others and it was fairly cheap, well worth the trip imho and will probably do it again in the future. tons of trails too :tup:

Do you by chance have a link to those cottages? That would be the ideal solution.
I checked the website, it’s fairly commercial. Im looking for something a little more personal. Mostly boarders, a few skiiers.

:tup: Going again this year.

We were in a cabin as well, and you really could fit that many in them.

if you don’t mind me asking, where have you stayed and about how much is it per person for a few days? i’ve been to lake tahoe out nevada/california, but i’d like to try some eastern mountains as well.

I haven’t been to Stowe. But I’ve been to Smugglers Notch which is right next to Stowe basically. Good terrrain up there in Northern Vermont. Some decent steep runs and pretty good snow.

I can’t wait for April though, I’m going to Snowbird.

Killington, Pico & Stratton. stratton is more expensive than killington to stay, its little more exclusive. I’ve been to killington for the last 4 years or so and i’d like to try somethign different. I’ve tried it a bunch of different ways. Everything from nice hotels to sleeping the in back of my blazer…haha. Although if i go the hotel route and have 2-4 people, it usually costs around ~$400 out the door (gas, food, hotel, lifts) cause we’ll get some package deal.

Of course if you sleep in your blazer at the base of the hill (stratton) all you pay is gas and lifts…until it rains and your forced to get a hotel to dry out…

Killington is good too but, last time I went the bars were REDICULOUSLY expensive and rediculously crowded.
The cover charges are high too but, the live bands were top notch.
If you like to drink like I do Killington is ghey.

I know this thread is about Stowe but my advice is to fly out west.
I started skiing out west about 1990 and I stopped going to Vermont.
Fights are cheap now and you cannot compare Vermont to anything out west.
Killington is cold, expensive, and only a little better than HV.

Ski out west just once and you will never ski Vermont again.

I agree, the bars were expensive, the weekdays were tollerable in terms of crowds, but I would always take the hike over to Pico because you were pretty much garanteed less crowds / better snow. Although I REALLY want to go out west, I going to have to save that for another year.

BigAirSkier, im going to smugglers notch in january, wanna give a little info on how it stacks up to the rest of vermont, we will be slopeside and we got a great deal, wat are the trails like? parks? superpipe?

true that. since i went to tahoe, i think everything else is shit. and tahoe still isn’t the nicest place out west, but still. the prices out there are about the same, 45-50 for lift tickets. and nothing beats going in january and being able to ride fresh powder on 10k foot mountains in a hoodie when it’s 60 degrees.