Anyone here do any welding?

I’m working on repairing a wheel and I’m going to be looking for someone to do a little bit of welding soon. The wheel has a chrome lip, I believe its aluminum. I sanded out the burrs in the rim and need someone to help me heat/bend the rim(very small bend) and weld in more metal where the curb took a chunk out of.

This is the spot I need welded

You can see the slight bend in this pic

Please PM me with a price or post if you’re interested. Thanks

Hank

Adam / Boxer six / R247 Motorsports :bowdown

send it to a wheel shop…

Gonna cost more than its worth. Ive got a fucked up wheel on my Mustang and I called Keystone and they wanted $180 to fix it. I bought another one on ebay for $100 and still need to put it on.

Couldn’t find a local shop willing to work on it because of the chrome lip.

Too expensive, the wheel isn’t worth that much.

Ok, buy a new wheel. I had the same type thing happen to my drag rims. Right front got a bend in it, took it to a shop to have staightened…cost me $50(gave me a deal) and the wheel feels ok when you drive, but it still has a slight wobble to it. For the money just save up and get a new one imo

I wanted to buy a new one but as it turns out, they got discontinued :headbang

The damage really isn’t as bad as it looks, I think its going to be a pretty easy fix.

Your thinking is wrong unfortunately. That is serious damage looking at that picture. You cannot just heat aluminum and bend it back. You’re just going to create fractures in the metal grain with will make the wheel structurally unsound for use. You need to anneal aluminum(heat and make it soft) to bend easily, then heat treat to align the grain structure again and form strength. Hammering it back only work hardens the material and makes it brittle, again tearing and cracking the grain structure(crystal) of the metal.

Wheel repair companies use specialized lathe-like equipment to heat the rim 360 degrees(evenly) to retain grain structure, then roll out the bends. The wheel is then treated and exterior coatings(paint. chrome, anodize) are applied.

Chrome in any vicinity of the weld must be removed by grinding, it WILL contaminate the weld and sink and puddle at the bottom of the pool where it’ll form stress risers and cracks soon down the road. No getting around that any one welding it who says you don’t have to is an idiot/inexperienced. Chrome tends to be magnetic and can be tested using a rare earth(cobalt) magnet. If it doesn’t stick it’s just a polished lip.

Your best bet is to either send it out, or find a used replacement. Just by looking at that picture I’d have $200 into repairing it here. If you want it repaired and have any plans of using the wheel, do it right and send it to Rim Pro.

Don’t meant o be the bearer of bad news but just explaining the facts here…

Thanks for taking the time to explain that, I didn’t know it was such an involved process. If the wheels were worth it, I would send them out but since they’re not I guess they’re headed to a scrap yard now…

:nod He speaks the truth lol. Id try sellin em, who knows, someone may want it for $40 or something stupid like that.

Ebay them or put them on craigslist… Someone will buy them for more than youll get in scrap… last time i scrapped wheels (4 17’s) i only got about 56 bucks

I’m putting them up on CL right now. Someone might snatch them for $100 or so

Get some CCW’s for that thing! :banana :ninja

Gold Super Advan II’s FTW

OZ ultraleggera’s when the time comes :giggedy

if you need any welding…here’s some recent work.

^ :lmao

is that the spanish mirage tuner that put sand in his intake or some shit to port the intake manifold?