Anyone here use DirecTV HD?

How is the service? What Box did you get with it? Are their “HD” channels really HD? I remember hearing some controversy about that a while back on cable VS Sat. TV.

I assume they’re not running at 1080p right? 720p? It’s not as easy as you think to find this info on their website lol

How do you like the service overall? I’d go with DishNetwork in a heart beat, but it’s not available currently.

I love it

stop by my house and see how awesome it looks on my plasma. Skunk, rob, adam have all seen the HD on my tv before.

They just gave me 6 months of movie channels for free cause i called and told them i was leaving for dish lol. 1080p is coming, but unless u have a huge tv its not worth it, you will not notice any difference on a 33 inch screen.

Yeah the controversy is that cable HD blows compared to sat HD, thats it in a nutshell.

All satellite is compressed HD, weather its Dish or DTV, even OTA is compress a bit, not as bad, but it is. OTA is mpeg2, DTV is now rolling out a ton more mpeg4 which uses tighter compression while retaining the same PQ

thanks man. Are you using the standard box that they give you? Or did you buy one?

what kind of hookups does it have? I asked the girl on the phone, but her answer was “video?”

im using the hd/dvr mpeg 4 box, hdmi, component, usb, lan etc…

cool, so I assume they only have 1 box per specification? (HD, HD-DVR, SD-DVR, Digital box, etc?)

I wonder what they’re sending. Got the same package as you I think

yes it does it all, i have total choice im grandfathered in, they changed everything a while back.

im sure you will get the same box as me

I’ve had it 8 or so months now. I love it, way better than TW! I have whatever the standard HD-DVR box is, couldn’t tell you the model. They run 720p and I think some stuff is 1080i, I know they are not 1080p yet.

they run alot in 1080i actually, and 1080p is soon.

awesome, thanks guys :tup:

thats the info I was looking for

I have DirecTV HD as well. Love it. Tons of channels in HD and it seems like they add more every month. Just make sure you’re using the HDMI cables to hook it up. PQ with all other connections just isn’t as good.

you think if i :bsflag:em they might send me the hd reciever??

naw component is just as good, ive used both, no difference from what i could tell. Calibrated TV.

wouldent hurt, tell them what happened

I’ve said this before. DirecTV has THE BEST customer service I have ever received. Absolutely the most helpful and courteous company I’ve ever had to deal with over the phone.

Plus their HD rocks. I have a HD DVR downstairs in my living room and a 2 HD receivers in the bedroom and kitchen. :tup:

What? Why?

Just what I’ve always had… plus the NHL package = :tup:

I’m confused.

You already have Dish or no???

If so, why are you switching???

from what I have heard the 1080p will only be on PPV movies

That’s how Dish Networks is right now.

thx for the advice after calling and complaining it only gonna cost me 11 dollars to upgrade to hd (new reciever dish install) i appreciate the advice/suggestion