Anyone on here cycle? Come on in... v. bike paths

Decided today that I would enjoy something fun/athletic to do on nice days like today so I took a drive over to Burt’s and purchased a new Trek 7.3 FX road bike. ( http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/bike_path/fx/73fx/ ) I logged about 20 miles today, and I absolutely love it. Rode all over the UB/Ellicott Creek paths.

Just looking for any other legit bike paths in the area, either paved or packed dirt.

I’m also concerned about the maintenance of the bike, I’d like to keep it in tip-top shape. Any recommendations? I was told to lube the chain once a month and degrease the chain/cassette when its getting crummy. It just seems like there is so much to know.

Thanks in advance.

Thats not really a roadbike, more of a hybrid… Road bikes geo and bars are differant… But whatever, good purchase, you can do a 40
Mile loop starting at the bike path into ellicott creek park, down to niawanda and to the peace bridge…

Clarence has a decent bike path… All of amherst and clarence are decent for road riding

Yeah, sorry…meant hybrid. Should i wear a helmet when doing long distance riding? i’d assume so, only because you’re on public roads. whats the norm?

always wear a helmet, it’s not worth it. my uncle fell over in his driveway last month on a bicycle and had a brain aneurysm and died, i hate to see anyone get hurt. go pick out a comfortable helmet that fits you and you forget they’re on. i won’t ride without one, sort of like trying to drive without a seat belt sensation.

Get a helmet you pussy… Why did you buy that bike??

If you go on google maps there is a bicycling layer you can click on and it will show you where all the bike paths are. The dark green solid lines are bike paths, the light green dotted lines are suggested roads that are good for riding I believe. I use it all the time when I plan my routs.

oh hot i’ll wave atcha.

should have bought a mountain bike and a spare set of road oriented tires

enjoy and be safe out there on the roads

I thought about doing that on my mountain bike. It’s a hard tail and has a lockout on the front fork so it would be great on the street. Hmmmm…

It’s certainly not a replacement to a road bike, but it’s way better solution to riding a mountain bike on the street.

If you have Android you can download the app called “My Tracks” It creates a map of your cycling/walking route with detailed info on how far, how long, elevation, etc. of your route. You can also upload it to google maps to share with people or keep track of progress.

http://mytracks.appspot.com/images/qr_big.png

Well my main issue is that I have disc brakes. I don’t want to worry about getting all new equipment for that shit. I have my grandfathers old road bike that I’m planning on rebuilding to make it more road worthy so I’ll just stick with that. Shit it might even be the cheaper solution. lol

I would definitely just stick with that

Definitly should pop that helmet on especially on busier roads. I cant count the number of times asshole driver beep at me or fly down the 30MPH street going 60MPH and get mad at me for being in the road. They just finished the path over by the peace bridge that leads to the path along the water down by lasalle park which then in turn cruises through the nice neighbor hood over by the marina. Continue down by the Arena and jet past the Genereal Mills factory to the water and theres the path that gets you along the small boat harbor. This is usually my ride from Deleware park and back. Its about a 23 mile rd trip. Its a good way to satrt your day off.

I don’t give a shit how busy the road, a helmet is an absolute must at all times. Riding a bike without a helmet is like fucking that party skank and not wearing a rubber, you are just asking for it.

need more paths that intertwine in the city, I’m not trying to drive somewhere to ride

i live near n. french and campbell. my typical bike ride is down campbell to tonawanda creek, up through ellicott creek, and out to mississippi mudds… and back. it’s roughly 20 miles. I ride at night with friends, we all have proper headlights and tailights. there’s also some off road paths we hit up every now and then.

Just got my hybrid in today…GT Nomad.
http://www.eatonvilleoutdoor.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/2009_GT_Nomad.300114642_std.JPG
Didn’t get it assembled until 9PM or so but took a quick 12 mile round trip thru Williamsville to my gym as a test to see how feasible biking there is, definitely like it so far :tup:
Northtowns biking crew meet?

Idk, my bike is setup for dirt, mud and gravel…

Just ride from your house to the bike path, you don’t need a bike path to ride. The only times I ever throw my bike in the car is if I’m running late to meet somebody or I plane on riding in a different area. Like a few weeks ago I parked my car in springville and rode my bike to HV and back.