anyone rebuilt a ps pump?

Hey guys,

So my ps pump started screaming when I went to put my car on the road this year. I’m getting a replacement, thanks Varun, but I’m going to attempt to rebuild the one I have.

I found this kit on the net, pretty cheap as well and its for a 200sx so I assume that will work for an sr20 ps pump.

http://www.pskits.com/catalog/pumpkits200sx959620l-p-706.html

Anybody have any experience with this? Key things to look out out for?

I also saw there is a ps rack rebuild kit. Would there be in difference between a hicas rack and non hicas rack? I don’t see the option on the site.

It’s quite simple to rebuild, but the actual pump internals are usually ok, just make sure you do not loose these 12 steel leafs, and put them back facing outside with the rounded edges. The thing that went bad on mine was the bearing, 35mm outside, 15mm inside, if I remember it right. I bought the new one from Toronto Bearings 20 bux. I used the puller to push it out and back in. There is a solenoid behind the bearing, good idea to replace it as well. I also got the internals somewhere, pm if you need thm.

Thanks for your response.

At first I thought the noise I was getting was from a bad bearing, I had that shit ISIS high pressure power steering line blow on me last year and I ran the pump dry for about 20mins until I could get out of traffic and get the belt off. I was looking at the fsm though and it doesn’t show a bearing in the exploded view. I think these pumps are just fluid bearings, so I figured I ruined the seals and I’m getting a metal on metal contact. I may not even be able to fix it. Are you sure there is a bearing because if thats the case it is fixable but again the fsm does not show a bearing.

Yes, there is bearing, in old zx300 it was 30mm, then s13 they had 35mm, in Altimas they have 40mm os, other than that these ps pumps are same. Bearing and solenoid for sure, I pressed it out myself, didn’t smoke anythin that day)

rebuild kits are cheap, often the o-rings or copper washers they include are not exact, imperial or closest common size dunno… going to a junkyard to get a good one is easier and unless it ran dry, do a spin test with the hoses unplugged, if it makes any scratching noises for more than 2 seconds or the pulley vibrates while turning, it’s junk

No my pump was f’d it ran dry for awhile. I ended up just doing the KA ps pump swap but I plan to rebuild the sr one for later. There most diffidently is a bearing though its the first thing you see when you pull off the pulley. I wonder why that’s not included with the rebuild kit or even shown in the fsm.

Toronto Bearing is your friend, just press it out and measure it or just bring there the old one, they’ll find the new one, they all standard lol!

often a good used part is cheaper than new bearings for it…