Apexi Safc Thoughts

I have a 90 eclipse GSX. i just got a big 16g, and a 2g maf. I hope that by spring i will get my full 3" exhuast, 190LPH fuel pump and 550 injectors. I was wondering what eveyrone thought of the apexi safc’s. I don’t have the money to go crazy with my car yet so, DSM link is out of the question. I just want to know if it is easy to use and figure out. any other helpful information is welcome. Thanks

if you don’t have a ton of money, you obvioulsy need some way of adjusting your a/f… so afc might be your only option. the only real difference between the afc and afc2 is that the 2 has more ranges to work with. if you are going to try tuning yourself you will definately need at least an egt, otherwise you’d just be going off someone elses settings. maybe try and borrow a wbo2 or something just to be safe

:shrug:

how much boost are you planning on running ?

For now i have 15 lbs. but depending on if i think my car can take it, maybe 20. I don’t think it does but does the safc have any data loggin possibilites, if it dosn’t then will i have to get one. Thanks

safc = no real datalogging, but i think theres a graph setup u can review

the problem with the safc is it only adjusts fuel, theres no way to pull timing, so after a certain point its not going to do you any good anymore

the 1g / 2g guys could give you more info, all ive worked on so far was a turbo 3g

It’s basically you’re only option if you want to upgrade your injectors and turn up the boost. I had the SAFC 1 for years and it worked fine for what I needed it for, I never used the 2, but I don’t think it gives you anymore tuning abilities over the 1.

You’re not going to want to run 20psi on your engine, without putting in headstuds and a new headgasket. It might work for a while, but sooner or later it’ll let go. When I had the setup you’re talking about making, I ran 17psi.

I would also recommend you get an EGT if you plan on tuning it yourself, or go get it tuned locally. And also at this point, you don’t need to upgrade your 1G maf to a 2G maf, you’re not going to notice anything different and if you don’t know how to do the wiring, it could get complicated. The only time you’re going to need the 2G maf is when you’re pushing a lot of HP and you end up outflowing the 1G one, which at 17psi isn’t going to happen.

yea the AFC will do what you want it to for now, so you’ll be fine with that. the 2 will give u knock values as well, and more rpm points for adjustment

I got the sg maf for free, so i just wanted to throw it on. I have already looked at how to rewire the sensors. http://vfaq.com/mods/2GMAF-1G.html