Apple Auto Glass story

Ok so today I did some runing around to get prices and book apointments to have work done on Project Bastard Child. So now the car is going in for media blasting next weekend and so I need the windshiel and both rear quarter glasses taken out. The windshield is brand new already and so I do not want to attemp to remove it mysel as I have seen many people try and fail.

So I walk in to Apple Auto Glass and explain that I need someone to come to my shop and remove the glass. HE saiys we are short staffed so we may not be able to do a house call, but I will ask the boss. I give him the year make and model and he walks off.

2 min later he comes back and say $600 :shock: . I said holly SH#tT so he says well we wuold have to remove the interior panels and it takes time. So I told him that the car is stripped and on a rotisserie so you would not have to worry about the interior pannels but he said it would be the same price.

So now I am pissed and thinking I can have a new windshield put in for $250 so I might aswell just smash it or attempt to pull it myself.

Then I called a place my friend recomended before and the guy told me he would come to the shop and remove the windshield for $40 and the quarters will prob be the same. Unbalievable . How can Apple charge $600 when some other local reputable shop charges $40 - $ 80???

Well that my story kinda long spelling sucks but I have only have 3hrs sleep in the past 33hrs so iuno really care…lol

Just write them a letter informing them that they lost 500+ potential customers and see what they say.

Just buy the tool and do it yourself?

Large companies with many stores across the country, can use their name
and reputation as a means of over charging customers.

Because you know when Joe-Blow has a problem, he wants a reputable
shop and is willing to pay whatever it takes to get it fixed.

That along with scare tactics is what drives these companies to over
charge their ‘average’ customer.

^^ with the tools its apparently easy to do yourself… never tried it myself.

Also, when I called Apple to do the same thing they quoted me $60.00+taxes for the windshield only. Removal Only, and that was to come to my house.

A complete replacement, including new windshield, removal of the old one and installation of the new one was $400+taxes

Apple Auto Glass is the last place you want to go Chris for what you wanted. They prolly didnt understand/ever do what you wanted them to do. I have seen most guys will charge about 50-70 to take a windshield out.

i beleive its like a 15 dollar kit from most auto parts store then u can take out ur windows…if ur replacing them with new ones ust do it urself and if they brake when u take them out they brake

the kit is basically a cable that u stick through between the window and car and it un connects all the glue shit so it can come out

You can also use piano wire. Or exacto knives, if don’t have any piano wire on hand… :shock:

On the topic of windshields, can anyone recommend the cheapest (price) windshield place that will come to my house and do install only? Mine is out already. I live in Markham area…thanks.

Nice…

[quote=“DR”]

You can also use piano wire. Or exacto knives, if don’t have any piano wire on hand… :shock:

On the topic of windshields, can anyone recommend the cheapest (price) windshield place that will come to my house and do install only? Mine is out already. I live in Markham area…thanks.[/quote]

this guy around my area dupont and dufferin area is coming to my house to install my windshield for $180. i will try to find his number.

It all comes down to who you know. The average Joe will go and get ripped off at Apple Auto Glass.

does that include the windshield? I hope so :-/

I will pay the $40 to have some one come and rermove it. Some of you guys are saying just do it yourself. Well have you ever tried to romove an s13 windshield?

Not as easy as most vehicles, I have done s10 and stuff like that no prob but I have never sucsessfully removed one or seen one removed from a s13. I will just call the pro that only charges $40 and be done with it.

Then the car goes in for media blasting …yay!!

$40 to $80 sounds about right. after all, you’re paying for an experienced tech about an hour or two MAX for the work. $400? that’s insane. what was he gonna use? a butter knife?

i’ve removed a windshield without breaking it in autobody class. it took longer than usual, but it was still only about 1/2 an hour. piano wire works well, but you have to start it with BTB knife.

So many are saying its ‘easy’ to remove a windshield, just buy the 15 dollar kit but have you ever tried it?

If the window is a couple years old then maybe but trying doing a 10 year old car, I did and with one slip up I was done as I chipped a corner. For the 100 bucks you’ll pay to have the entire glass pulled, I think thats well worth the price of the job being undertaken.

Heh, sure it’s Eeeeeeeeeaaaaaaassssssyyyyyyy.

Well, considering the S13 uses the windshield as structure, the glass is under a lot of stress.

If the car is a bit crooked (rust, collision, just normal tweaking from abuse) the windshield will probably break, no matter how careful you are.

The goop they use is nothing like the GM adhesive. You have to cut it with an xacto blade from both sides, and you need a blade that is flexible enough to get all the way through. The goop (urethane if we’re bieng fancy) is like cutting really hard wet shoe leather. It takes a hell of a lot of force. Like cutting anything else with an xacto blade, when you apply lots of force, what happens? Well, once it cuts, the blade goes wild. If you even nick the glass, you’ve probably ruined it.

I’ve pulled a lot, and broken a lot while trying. It is very finnicky, and not something you want to try for the first time. Thankfully a lot of pull-it-yourself places don’t watch while you try. But they will tell you “you break it, you buy it.”

Even Apple (who have insurance) will warn you they can’t guarantee they can remove it without breaking it.

If you’re going for the $40 special (not all of them are hacks, this is a reasonable price) make sure he has a guarantee he won’t break it, before he actually tries.

does that include the windshield? I hope so :-/[/quote]

yes it does jammin, they use PPG windshield.