AR 15 preban mag selection

Found a guy on NY firearms that I can meet up with to buy some 30 round preban mags. He has aluminum and thermold. Wants 20 a piece says its my choice. I’m a little ignorant as to which one or the other would be better or if it really matters one way or the other. Searching online now, but figured I see if some fellow firearms enthusiasts on here have any insite?

Thermold all the way IMO. Can’t bend and aren’t as “fragile” as alum if I recall.

that seems to be what I found online. Only issue could be if they are Canadian mags in which case they aren’t any good.

You poor NY gun owners lol.

What’s the restriction in NY for maximum rounds a magazine can hold, 10?

if post ban mags yes.

So if you walk into a gun shop in NY you can’t buy a 30 round mag made after 94? That sucks.

yes its illegal to own or buy post ban mags that hold more than 10 rounds. no pmags for us here in NY.

I didnt no there were thermold preban clips.

if you talk to “mikecentola” over on ny firearms, he was selling the mags for less then 20 a piece and had a ton in stock. idk if he has thermold ones tho

I know the has a tactical shop. I looked for his webpage first but it’s under construction at the moment.

did some research last night and there are 2 variants a US made mag that is good quality and a Canadian version that has a very high failure rate due to poor quality material.

whats your name on NYF?

yea he had an issue with his web provider and it got taken down accidentally… if you go onto his facebook page or even try messaging him on NYfirearms he can
get back to you… he has been in vegas for the shot show this week, but will be back in the shop on monday

let him know i sent him over to ya

Negative Brew, he had Pre-Ban AK mags not AR.

thanks, but I’m just waiting on pictures from the guy on NY firearms. I’ll contact mike if that falls through.

pmags ftw for people not in ny

For those of us behind enemy lines in ny, check out ar15 EE section and look for guys selling their old prepan usgi mags and rebuild the springs in them, just watch for cracks on the lips

i did forget about this site… they take a pmag and permantly make it 10 round capacity. i have a couple of these and there legal and only hold 10. they are true pmags not some other knock off. i literally had these at my door within 48 hours of ordering also. pre bans are nice but these are good if you want the pmag look.
http://calegalmags.3dcartstores.com/

here is an other site that does the same thing…
http://midwestpx.com/index.php?cPath=15&osCsid=9stbu00ntel40t4trn1d3m8vb6

I’ve seen those around, but to me it just doesn’t seem like a good idea. Yes if you don’t have a grip on the barrel the longer mag is nice to hold onto, but your making it look like you have an illegal mag in your post ban rifle. I wouldn’t want those for that reason.

I need some Ruger 10/22 - 25 or 30 round pre-bans – that’s the only thing that’s missing on tactical .22 Let me know if you guys see any for sale.

I saw some listed a while ago on NY firearms. You would probably be able to find somebody looking to sell on there.