rifle/gun owners - legal question

is it legal to purchase or possess a 30 round mag (dated after '94) for a 10/22 in new york?

it looks like there is an exemption to the high cap mag law for .22lr rounds, but i have never seen any available at stores.

from what i understand, and what ive been going by for a while, you can have the 30 round “bannana” clip, but you CANNOT hunt with it.

you can target with it though.

EDIT: ive gotten mine out of surplus magazines. (the ones your read lol)

NO they are illegal in NYS

yup, i concur, if it was made after sept 94 then its no good, sorry. You should be able to get pre-ban mags pretty easy.

the federal government let the assault weapons ban expire but unfortunatly the gun nazi’s in this state signed into law their own version of an assault weapons ban. so yes any high capasity magazine over 10 rounds is illegal unless it was manufactured before sept 94. but do you honestly think a police officer or the DEC is going to tear apart a magazine or look up serial numbers just to make sure? not unless your breaking more serious laws to get their attention. so i wouldnt worry about. every one of my semi autos has 20+ rnd mags and no law officer has ever questioned me about it.

yeah, this is the first ive heard of it as well.

here is the part in question:

“Large capacity ammunition feeding device” means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, manufactured after September 13, 1994, that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition; provided, however, that such term does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

and a few sites even have them for sale new to ship to nys

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=EAG2230

A tube magazine on a .22 is not a detachable magazine.

dont interpret the law based on who will sell you the product. high capacity mags are now legal in most places so they will sell you the product even if its illegal in this state. its your responsibility to know the local laws. i wouldnt worry about it though…noone is gunna harass you over a tiny rimfire rifle.

i just bought a 30 round mag for my .22LR a few months ago…

online or from someplace local?

Preban woo woo

Yes the law only states that .22LR TUBES are ok. If not the law would make all .22LR models that have say a 15 round capacity illegal. This would ruin some companies business, and if you have money you can get laws changed in your favor. A 30 round clip is illegal in NYS according to the law. Someone (Not me :wink: ) has personally had a few which where shipped to my house that are post ban. If a cop ever said anything to me, I’d just say say they where pre-ban. I seriously doubt he would know what to do. Cops don’t need to be smart, in the buffalo area you only need to know someone to get a job, you don’t have to be qualified.

On a side note, buy two 30 rounders you’ll fall in love :slight_smile: