Are fuel cells legal to run on the street

As the title says. Driving the s13 up north for 2 years has taken it’s tole. My fuel tank is leaking, and i don’t think i would be able to install an oem tank back in because of the rust. tried searching but found nothing about the legality.

i think somebody asked this a while back. if i remember correctly, i think the issue with running them on the street is that they aren’t filled from the outside of the car. or something along those lines.

Nope not legal for the street but I don’t think a cop would ask you to pop your trunk to see if you had one

^this lol. Just keep your privacy cover on at all times.

q45 has a plastic tank between the rear struts…

something anlong those lines?..

I have considered using one for a double tanker, like the old farm trucks…

So… I’m just gonna throw this out there… Your unibody car is too rusty where the stock tank is now, to put a new one there… And you’re going to honestly feel that this car is still safe to be on the road?

If I were you I’d either find a new chassis or just purchase an OEM gas tank. New straps (you need 2) are about $60+ each from any Nissan dealership.

Eco Tanks & Auto Parts
(905) 282-0055
1110 Kamato Rd
Mississauga, ON L4W2P3

Ask for Derek. Really great guy to deal with.

I just bought an OEM gas tank for my S13 from them, it came with a brand new filler neck too and it has been cleaned, coated, and also has a lifetime warranty. It was also about 3 times less than the price of a brand new OEM replacement tank from the Nissan dealership. They get all their gas tanks from the south. I believe they also sell sending units including fuel pumps as well as rust free subframes all from the South in the States.

I have no choice, it’s the only car i have, and i’m a student. plus it startes on the first turn in -40 with no heaters of any kind, and it’s pretty reliable, and fun! once I’m done school & working i plan on restoring it.

understandable, yeah just run a fuel cell man…who cares just keep it covered and out of site

Is anything cool for cars legal?

fuel cells are not DOT approved. yeah people run them;) but keep in mind your insurance could drop you if something ever happened. but seriously dude, if you cant run a stock fuel tank because your car is too rusted, its time to re evaluate your car. yeah you may be a student, but im sure you can figure it out. lots of people build cars on a budget.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

flame decals and racing stripes

Yah looking into gett a tacoma, and restoring the s13 entirely. But can’t do much here cause I live in. The bush, dirt driveway, wildlife and all. The rust isn’t that bad but, I’m just concerned. The only internet I have is this stupid backberry which is what I’m using to make this post. So doing any work is a strugle up here.