Are you interested in getting into MMA or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?

The gym I’ve been training at is NY Boxing & Upstate BJJ which has some of the best trainers in the area for boxing, MMA and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Trainers and owners Shannon and Shawn Miller for boxing and Ryan Clark for MMA & BJJ. They are expanding from their current location in Cohoes and opening up a second gym in Rotterdam in the Poppy’s Ice Cream Plaza. The gym is set to open August 1st. I encourage anyone who is looking for a good way to get in shape or learn some self-defense or train for a fight to check these guys out.

www.ny-boxing.com & www.upstatebjj.com

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000030373769#/profile.php?id=100000030373769&v=info&viewas=517505026

If anyone wants to do BJJ the ONLY gym that should be considered in the capital region is www.spacitybjj.com Spa City was founded and is operated by Renzo Gracie (blackbelt in Gracie jiu jitsu) and is currently run by Gracie and Ricardo Almeida (one of the best practitioners of BJJ on the planet). Anyone who knows anything about mixed martial arts knows that Gracie Jiu Jitsu has long been the pinnacle in the mma world and it’s truly remarkable that we have access to such a gym. I was going every week for a while last year until I had my shoulder dislocated (which sucked…always tap when it hurts…don’t try to be a tough guy) and absolutely loved it. Although Jon T. (had the white WRX, now has white R32) got a good kick out of it when it happened…

Thanks for hijacking my thread but just because it’s a Gracie gym doesn’t mean it’s for everyone. What is Spa City charging per month to attend there? I’m by no means bashing the other gyms around here because I know there are some other good schools around so please do not take it the wrong way. Upstate BJJ is charging $85.00 per month and you can train every day. Not many gyms in this area offer that. Do a search on Ryan Clark and I think you be very suprised how skilled he truly is.

I would but im a fat assssss.

Tell Ryan I said hi. He’s a good dude. I’d still train with him if I didn’t fracture my wrist back a couple years ago. Wasn’t his fault at all though. Bunch of other shit went down at that time I cant talk about, but BJJ is good stuff. I learned a lot in the small amount of time.

He’s a tough kid.

Big guys can do it too man! There’s guys that have come in to our gym that were BIG and just by rolling on the mats they shreaded a ton of weight. Try out a free lesson, the most you have to lose is a few hours of your time.

Different packages for different dollars depending on what you’re looking for. Starting at $49 ranging all the way up to $109. I wasn’t hijacking, just stating that if someone wants to learn BJJ that Spa City is simply put THE place to become versed in the artform. If you want to go work out, learn some stuff, and get into better shape I’m sure Upstate is a great option.

And he’s right, big guys can do it as easily as anyone else. The biggest thing is working on your flexibility/dexterity. Also not trying to be ‘the man’ which can lead to sucky injuries. See my above post…had my shoulder dislocated because I thought I was a tough guy…found out I’m just an idiot. :slight_smile:

A friend of mine brought one of his buddies down from Spa City to our gym to train. I wasn’t there because I had to work. Is it mostly Gi up there or is it a mix? Our rates are different as well, I pay $85.00/month for 2 gyms and the option to train 7 days a week.

You go into any boxing or mma gym with that kinda attitude you’ll get straightened out real quick if you don’t have natural talent. Every single person that has come into our gym with that kind of attitude has done 1 of 2 things; either never come back because someone smashed him in 10 seconds or they changed their attitude and came back ready to learn.

i’d love to get into this, thats right up the road from my apartment too.

It’s mixed although a lot of the advanced stuff is Gi (Gracie regimented).

I have a Ken Shamrocks Lions Den gym right around the corner from my house. That stuffs not for me. I play softball 4 nights a week, that keeps me busy.

If I wasn’t already into judo, I’d take this! Bump for an awesome martial art.

The grand opening of the Rotterdam is tonight! Please come by around 6:00 PM to check us out and answer any questions you may have. We look forward to seeing any new faces looking to join!

Hm, I think I might check this out, at least for a night. I need to strengthen my ground game in judo, and BJJ might be the thing…

Not sure if you stopped in lastnight. We had a great turn out for new people showing up though. Tell your friends!