AT&T ending unlimited data plans for smart phones

Justingsr MINT

May I suggest the Droid Incredible?

I don’t think Sprint has a limit right now on their data plans. I think they do on their broadband data plans (like for PC cards), but not on cell phone data plans. However, Sprint is going to charge $10 for the 4G/Premium content which will also be unlimited and give you priority in data pools (this charge will be added to at least all new EVO owners from what I understand). Sprint right now is going to be charging $30/month for tethering with the new EVO (last I knew) which I am getting tomorrow at 8AM. However, I think this will go down in price eventually.

Droid is just the only option if I leave AT&T. I’m very impressed with every single thing it does, I just can’t get over the “rough” touch acceptance/scrolling.

I’d check out the Droid Incredible and then decide.

Vlad, there will be HTC Android devices on AT&T this year. I’m holding out for one.

The incredible went from. 533mhz processor(in the slide droid) to a 1.2ghz proccesor…the roughness is all but gone…go play with an incredible…its win. Trust me. I was surprised…plus dude…8 mp camera. Whaaat what! Andf hahaahhahahaha chris…justingsr mint…love that…will be using it. Soon. Also, I was guna ask since I have a plan with verizon with unlimited data…what happens when my current contract is up? Assuming verizon ever goes to a cap like at & crap?

I thought you were being sarcastic when you were saying “droid incredible” :rofl

I’d like to get a droid definitely, almost doesn’t matter who the carrier is honestly, especially if I’m grandfathered in for At&t.

What I like about other providers other than verizon is how easy it’s to switch phones because of SIM.

Well verizon always transfers all my stuff for free and being from coby…I actually need verizon…cuz well to be blunt…no one touches verizons coverage…esp. For 3g

If you don’t mind paying a little more (actually you’re on AT&T so you won’t see a difference), go with the Incredible on Verizon. Don’t bother waiting for Droid on AT&Crap (I like that Rusty - good one).

I personally have had Sprint for 6 years and although a lot of people bad mouth them due to their issues 10 years ago with customer service and coverage (things they have rectified in a major way in my opinion), I haven’t had any issues with them or their coverage (and I travel a LOT) and tomorrow they are releasing quite possibly one of the biggest challengers ever for ‘Best Phone Period’ (to date obviously, I’m sure something in 6 months will blow it away).

If Sprint ever tanked, I’d most certainly switch to Verizon and Verizon only.

So my suggestion to you? Droid Incredible on Verizon. As Rusty said, you won’t be disappointed.

I’ve had Verizon for 4 years prior and now At&t for a year. I honestly hated VZ for just about everything except their coverage and their reliability.

The phones were always locked, PITA to transfer from one to the other (no sim), money hungry for everything even charged me to transfer my contacts among many many other misc charges but they did seem to have a better coverage. With that said, there wasn’t one instance where I personally had At&t with bad service but next to me was a VZ guy with good service or even 3g VS non 3g, always the same in my experience.

However Droid series doesn’t have Vz’s retarded software they put onto every phone or their “locking”, it’s a damn nice phone and could make the switch back worth it.

Google Sync, Windows Sync, or pay the $10 to transfer contacts. They only charge you for it when you buy the phone elsewhere and you can usually whine and get it done for free.

I’m constantly letting AT&T people borrow my phone to make calls. :haha But they…have better games, I guess?

Anyone using an OS not made by Apple should be saving their contacts in Google. If you can’t with your current phone, see if you can export them off your current phone into a .csv file and then import them into your gmail account. Then sync your Android or WebOS phone with Google.

I lost my contacts once using Palms Cloud network, switched to GMail syncing, and never had problems since.

Also, for those who want to use their phones for work email/calendar, etc. you can use a program called CompanionLink which can work through either USB cable or Google. I use the Google method for Calendar and Tasks. This is typically only needed for people who are still using a client other than Outlook (Exchange servers) since most phones integrate with Exchange nicely but not with products such as Lotus Notes, etc. (what we use at my company). Check with your IT staff though and make sure you have permission. No sense in getting fired from your job because you sync’ed your email to a device that was no company owned/locked down.

Another piece of information:

If you are seriously considering switching to Android, you can use appbrain.com to compile a list of apps and then scan the barcode (or go to the link) and have them automatically downloaded to your phone. I am doing this with my EVO (already have 44 apps picked out). I found this pretty awesome, coming from WebOS/Palm.

Use a backup program that saves to your microSD card.

Kind of related because the guy emailed them about the data rates changes:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? AT&T is unreal. They followed up with this response:

Thanks for the free EVO 4G PR Steve Jobs. lol.

Looks like an average user will save money… only the heavy heavy (top 2%) will see an increase in fees.

That said, Im an iPhone owning AT&T hater

It seems that it may not be as big an issue as first planned.

I’m not sure on my data usage typically, but it would actually save money for 97% of users. Doesn’t necessarily seem like a bad thing.

Edit: ^ Just beat me to it.

I browse quite heavily during the day from my blackberry curve 8900…and i used 1.3gb last month.

I am due for an upgrade, im wondering if they are going to put me into the limited plan since im extending my contract, or if i will be grandfathered into my previous plan

I was wondering the same thing, but to me it seems like if I could do the same browsing I do now and save money, I’d be looking at At&t in a better light.

Seems that the only 3% that will mind are the ones that tether.

Need cell phone sticky NOW.

Yeah… one new tech thread a week is FAR to many. If the threads bother you so much than don’t click them.