AT&T Fail

AT&T has apparently found a workable solution to the reported data congestion in New York City. They’ve quietly stopped selling the iPhone to customers in the New York metropolitan area, at least from their web site.

I guess that’s one way to solve the problem.

Reader Stephen in Brooklyn made the discovery while shopping for a new phone today.

I was on the AT&T Wireless website trying to get an iPhone. However, when I put in my zip code 11231, the site says the iPhone is unavailable. This seemed a little odd so I started punching in other famous zip codes: 90210, 60609 (spiegel catalog), 02134 (zoom, an old children’s show).
For theses cities, LA, Chicago, Boston, iPhone is available. Then I looked up some other zip codes: Dallas, Miami, St. Louis, Philadelphia, San Francisco. All those cities are ok. Then I started putting in more NYC zip codes: midtown, Staten Island, the Bronx…no iPhone available.

This is weird…AT&T has cut off New York City.

I went to the AT&T site to verify what Stephen said. Sure enough, the iPhone was available to zip codes in San Francisco and other major cities. It was not available to purchase for people living anywhere in New York City, or any of the suburban zip codes in Westchester County or northern New Jersey that I tried. Was it a web site bug? I hopped online with a customer service chat rep to check.

Daphne: Welcome to AT&T online Sales support. How may I assist you with placing your order today?
Laura: Hi, I was looking at the iPhone 3Gs and the system tells me that I cannot order one in my ZIP code. My zip code is 11231. (Brooklyn, NY) Is this true? Are iPhones no longer available in New York City?

Daphne: I am happy to be helping you today . Yes, this is correct the phone is not offered to you because New York is not ready for the iPhone.

Daphne: You don’t have enough towers to handle the phone.

Laura: Thank you for your help. So the phone is not available to people anywhere in the city?

Daphne: Yes this is correct Laura.

Update: In a written statement, AT&T spokesman Fletcher Cook commented that “We periodically modify our promotions and distribution channels.” We have requested additional details, and will add them when and if they become available.

:retardclap

Lame for sure

heh. i can’t stand any cellphone carrier in the US. the UK has so much better cellphone/internet service, and for cheaper.

My Verizon phone makes calls and surfs the web at the same time just DANDY, Luke Wilson. Ya douche.

i had to get rid of my iphone cause it was balls i didnt get service in this one spot on my couch fuckin bullshit

Nice :).

sounds like a personal problem, GET OFF THE GOD DAMN COUCH

http://mashable.com/2009/12/27/att-iphones-new-york-city/

AT&T PR responds: “We periodically modify our promotions and distribution channels”.

Erm…What?

hhahaha yeah the thing was a junker anywaysss

Wife and I read about this AT&T fiasco from our BB web browser today…

From DIGG comments-

"Here is the answer I got. I am “Peter:”

Joseph W.: Welcome to AT&T online Sales support. How may I assist you with placing your order today?
Joseph W.: Which one, the 3gs?
Peter: Yes
Peter: It says “There are no phones and devices that match your search criteria.”
Joseph W.: It is because you are in New York City.
Peter: What does that mean?
Joseph W.: Due to massive fraud in online ordering, iPhones are not available online only.
Joseph W.: They can be bought in stores only.
Peter: Oh, ok"

So it really works? I never tried it on my driod.

yea it works, I did it after I saw the commercial claiming I couldn’t.

I was like…LIARS!

5-6-4-3 you some stupid bitch

AT&T sucks dick hahaha, i feel bad for you guys who have their service.

It doesn’t on mine, always says webpage unavailable.

negged

works on my BB with no problem at all!

You have the droid? just make a phone call hit the home button, then go on the browser it works on mine :crazy

Just did it again to make sure I wasn’t crazy.

Not my chair not my problem.