Att:vw Guys!!! Help!!!

Got a problem…couple days ago i lost all my forward gears (R, 1, 3, 5), nursed the car home, then lost all gears…which i attributed to a broken shift arm on the linkage…well, i replaced the arm, and i still cant get the car to shift into any forward gear…i can do it manually @ the linkage though…any ideas??? maybe a shift cable???

not sure on the VR6 but I thought their were two cables, 1 for the top gears and the other was for the bottom…

perhaps a cable broke? sailor might know better

yeah, there are 2 cables…the top gear cable wont push back into its shaft…i know its not the transmission because the shifter wont go into the top gear positions when the linkage is disconnected…

so did the cable break? or did something come loose?

sounds like a cable. :grouphug:

don, did you get my message?

do you need a crossflow head? JH head? lmk

obd1 crossflow is what i want. not really needed though. still might get that car though.

so, did you replace the cable. and if so, did you adjust the cables? if you adjusted the cables, then let me borrow the tool, lol. as i need it for whiteys car.

i’m working on the cables now…i’ll keep you posted on the progress…

Well, 2 hours and a six pack later, i have a running vehicle again…i didnt replace the cable…i just straightened the one that was there…as for aligning all the cables and adjusting the linkage…i didnt need a special tool…i had the front of the car off the ground anyway, so i ran through all the positions on the linkage till i found the one that let the front wheels spin freely in either direction (neutral), then i positioned the shifter at neutral, reattached the forward/backward cable, then adjusted the side to side cable accordingly, and reattached it…then, i put each piece on and torqued it all, checking the entire shift pattern after each new piece was put on…i just drove the car around for 15 min or so, so i guess it worked…btw, whitey, if you need help with this and want someone around who’s done it first hand, i’d be more than glad to help…and thanks to everyone who helped me on here…ok…i’m done with my novel now…

i told you: buy a japanese car.

:smiley:

good to hear you got it straightened out…

yeah definitely, let me knowwhen you are free one weekend and we will head down to there shop